weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.":2ju8rha0 said:
Well winter has come and looks like it will stay -My horses will stay in the bush all winter we will have some days that get to
-40 degrees and they will get nice and furry,I will drop off a bale of alfalfa or brome or just ordinary wild hay they eat it all --do just fine on it. The only thing my horses dont like is timothy-(go figure) timothy is suppose to be the ultimate horse hay around here

carl

I thought my horses were strange because the don't like timothy. I bought about 4 ton years ago and ended up feeding it out to the cows. The horses just picked at it and left the stems. Now its all orchard grass.

Alan

Alan":3ek8l7sm said:
Carlos D.":3ek8l7sm said:
Well winter has come and looks like it will stay -My horses will stay in the bush all winter we will have some days that get to
-40 degrees and they will get nice and furry,I will drop off a bale of alfalfa or brome or just ordinary wild hay they eat it all --do just fine on it. The only thing my horses dont like is timothy-(go figure) timothy is suppose to be the ultimate horse hay around here

carl

I thought my horses were strange because the don't like timothy. I bought about 4 ton years ago and ended up feeding it out to the cows. The horses just picked at it and left the stems. Now its all orchard grass.

Alan
ya ---Alan I learned a long time ago we have to double check horse imformation trouble is a lot of horse people dont know how to say "I don't know"

carl

However--that fluffly coat can hide the ribs and hipbones sticking out----catch one every now and then and feel for bone

peg4x4":f2phyn3r said:
However--that fluffly coat can hide the ribs and hipbones sticking out----catch one every now and then and feel for bone
nope ---those horses are just like me there not fat just fluffy ---no really they stay in good shape ,I give them a pile of oats too
carl

citygirl85":s9e8bfnb said:
No I do not handle my horses everyday. And no my horses and no "firing" in the pasture. They are normal typical pasture horses. They have a pecking order and if one tries to move up, the higher up horses show him/her whose boss. I can get on one of my QH and he will do whatever I want him to do. I can get on my barrel mare and she'll act a little wild but that's her attitude; she's been that way since the day I bought her. Herefords and horses are two WAY different aniamals. I do not understand how they "go together like peanut better and jelly."

why the heck does it matter what horses and herefords have in common? they were simply commenting on eachothers similar preferences. Also, it seems funny to me that you talk about getting on your horse with no problems when you previously stated you havent ridden him in over a year. I agree with msscamp and alan, maybe if you knew a biit more about horses we wouldnt be having this arguement.

I'm sorry you all think I'm "stupid" about horses but I know several people around my area, including me, who feeds their horses hay and grain everyday (sometimes twice a day) and get ridden very, very often. My horses haven't been ridden in over a year because my mare is injuired and my black horse isn't running barrles, and the other two are just brood mares. Anyways, I'm going to keep feeding my horses what I am feeding them and just take your comments with a grain of salt. Thanks for all your concerns but my horses are happy, and health.

well, i guess either when they lose interest and are eating grain/mare and foal/ect... ususally around 4 months.a good friend and trainer i know-i don't know if it is superstitious-always tells us, and he himself, to wean by the moon
ss

Latest posts