weaning weight loss results

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
You all are probably privy to this information concerning weaning calf weights. I've just bought some scales, and weaned a set of calves. So, I remembered a conversation here before about how much calves would lose in a week/two weeks and thought I would record the weights so we'd know, at least for this set, this time.

I fenceline wean, but there was a difference in the set of calves. Six came off two yr olds that I was feeding, so they get all they could manage when they were big enough to reach the trough. The calves off the old cows came from the north (not the direction I made grass available for the calves after four days, so they had never been down there), and they had enough feed to know how to get into the weaning pen and that's all.

After four days I opened a gate so they could access some grass and quit haying them, to make them go look. The next day I opened up grass for the cows to go out further on, and they stayed gone longer each day. The worst weight loss was from the calves that hung around bawling another day or two before eventually starting to join the rest, basically yesterday. I went up today and they were all out on pasture picking.

The difference in weight from weaning day, the 6th, until today, the 13th, was plus one pound. Not one pound average, positive one pound for the group of 18 calves, meaning no loss at all. They are all out on grass now, so I don't see a chance of any losses now. They are done bawling now, for the most part, there are a couple that will bawl every once in a while, but they are out eating when they do. The spread was interesting though, -23 to +19, but understandable, the ones that bawled the most, lost the most. The calves that were familiar with the pasture I turned them back out on looked for their mommas a while then started picking, they all gained except for one that bawled a little.

I wormed them today, and will weigh again in a couple weeks or a month.
Surprising? Not so much? I was.

Right on the money, I don't see them gaining over a pound in 2 weeks. Some December weaned calves weighed in January gained 7 pounds in 30 days. They've really shined since then though. I'd like to see that adg raised :2cents:

Same general results we see. Most claves will actaully gain a couple of pounds that first week. Neighbor does the move them a long ways apart weaning and his calves lose weight for almost a month before they get back to where they were when they weaned.

talltimber":235kesel said:
I've just bought some scales, and weaned a set of calves.
The difference in weight from weaning day..... until today (7 days) was plus one pound.
Not one pound average, positive one pound for the group of 18 calves, meaning no loss at all.
The spread was interesting though, -23 to +19, but understandable, the ones that bawled the most, lost the most.
Yes, it is interesting - thanks for posting.

Throw out the top calf - the group goes negative, throw out top and bottom - group average nearly identical again.
Some calves take weaning so much harder than others. We don't weigh, but always have a few that take it so hard
that you can visibly see them decline and I know they destroy what our overall average would be.

Good info and about what I have seen. If they gain everything back in two weeks, you are doing well. Most take longer and it is why buyers want calves weaned 45 days. Creeping them a couple weeks before and after the wean date helps a lot. The calves you wean in the fall seem to do a little worse probably because of low quality grass or hay.

Start weighing everything before you sell them and the spread will really shock you. It would be interesting to see if the calves that lose the most weight at weaning, also lose the most at sell time.

Latest posts