weaning ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

wideurt

Reaction score
I had a calf about once to twice a month this year,so I,m going to put a bull in , in a week or so till end of Dec. I,m going to wean the fiest half (of ten) at the same time.Going to fence line wean.I want to put the calves back in after mommas dry up . All the cows are in good condition if not some a lil heavy . ? # 1 How long till mommas dry up . ? # 2 What vacs are nessesary . ? # 3 What problems does anyone foresee . Thanks

I suggest you add one or more electric wires to the separating fence, on the calves side. Calves may just go right thru many fences, especially when they see the CAN get thru. You need a good fence. Good luck.

You need to give the calves 6 - 8 weeks to be weaned. As to vaccinations, that's up to you. You'll get many recommendations here.

grannysoo":zb3z2o3o said:
You need to give the calves 6 - 8 weeks to be weaned. As to vaccinations, that's up to you. You'll get many recommendations here.

I go along with the 6-8 weeks. Not only for the cow to dry off but also so the calves are broke from nursing, that is more of a concern. Talk to a good local LA vet as to what is recommended/required for your area concerning vaccinations. If the calves you will be putting back in are heifers, wait till the bull is pulled or you may end up with so very young calving heifers.

dun":2zwrqo9m said:
If the calves you will be putting back in are heifers, wait till the bull is pulled or you may end up with so very young calving heifers.

That was the first thing that came to my mind regarding future forseeable problems.

Katherine

Latest posts