weaning ring

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
well i still got the same problem hiefer so im gonna put a weaning crown in

the type that goes thru the nose and scures with 2 small screws

be my first nose ring job...not looking forward to it but even the elc fence didnt werk..and ive spent way too much time and money on the pita heifer

id ship her but shes a good candidate since shes from a diff bull.

its payback time

any tips on how hard is it to push it thru the nose. ive read pretty much all of it on here..been discussed but not the actual install. as far in as i should get it??

yay. :help: :help: ..gary

Have seen a vet use cordless drill to make hole for nose ring in bull. Went thru like a hot knife in butter. So quick the bull barely moved.

Just my 2 cents worth.

did it last nite. in the chute head tied on both sides.
piece o cake...inside of that nose skin is pretty tuff but i was able to do it with just the sharp end of the ring..i sharpened it with a file.
id have liked to get it thru farther up the nose but it seems okay and she went on her way just fine...

hate to say it but i was talking to her tellin her its all about paybacks....shes cost me alotta fencing and grief the last 2 mos...

but it went well..no blood ..lotta snot blowing on me but she left the chute calmly and went right to the feed trough for a treat...

was a good day

gary

Fella here uses these plastic spiked things that have a couple of screws that tighten down on the center piece of the nose. Spikes stick the cow and it kicks. Trouble was he left it on too long ,three months, and when he tried to get it off he could not. The nose had grown around the screw ends and the ends of the device .

Cow has a smile in its nose now as well as its mouth

this one goes thru a hole like a bull nose ring but i figure ill be gittin it off in a month or 2 when the 2 of em git over the whole weaning thing....2 mos to wean em...dam...

DB, Put the cow in yer holding pen throw the heiffer out, that's what I do when I have a escape artist, I have even held them in the shute for three or four days with a bucket of water & feed. After a few days they will get the message, then hold the cow in your hold up area.
8 weeks is normal weening and in some cases longer. But since yer hold up is close to yer house you will be hearing a awful lot of bawling for a week, just remember that's the sweet sound of money.
You aint gonna like the results of the nose ring and you may also damage the heiffer's eating grass ablities, infections, etc.
Then after a month put the cow back with the Bull, Still Got Country Boy?

Besides did I mention you don't know what the Heck yer doing, that could make things even worse. For the Heiffer that is.

well look what the coons drug up...yer still kickin ole man?

piece o cake..i managed just fine..calfs grazing as normal...pellets too..its all good....finally got a calf offa one o them sorry ass cows you traded me.
one died calfing #95..#94 throwin stillborn 2 yrs row..were gonna eat her this time...#24 finally calfed alittle bull last month..#21 still waitn to see what shes gonna do...i know who made out on that deal...feeding 4 cow for over 2 yrs for one calf...aint makin me any money....im figuring chit out alright tho dont you worry

gary

well look what the coons drug up...yer still kickin ole man?
Kicken like a three legged Mule
piece o cake..i managed just fine..calfs grazing as normal...pellets too..its all good....finally got a calf offa one o them sorry ass cows you traded me.
one died calfing #95..#94 throwin stillborn 2 yrs row..were gonna eat her this time...#24 finally calfed alittle bull last month..#21 still waitn to see what shes gonna do...i know who made out on that deal...feeding 4 cow for over 2 yrs for one calf...aint makin me any money....im figuring chit out alright tho dont you worry
Sounds like tough Love to me![/color]
Half of every one of the steers I brought back from your place dropped dead no matter how much meds I pushed, the other half I wasn't gonna take a chance own and hauled to the market and started over, one of them fell over dead as I unloaded them when I got back from yer place. You got some bad swamp water at yer place.

How's the horn flies over at yer place DB?, they be bad here the pour on just ain't doing it looks like I will have to go with ear tags.
Ever tryum? And if so how long do they work?

sounds more like the quality of yer animals more than my water sir

specially if yer heifers are any indicator of yer herd...btw...wasnt that marshland full of hog and poachers the reason you brought em over her in the first place old timer. yer piss poor management skills dont give ya the right to bash my animals

an no..i shipped country boy when he stopped doin his job..another bargain i got from ya..thanks buddy..all yer help probly set my program back a yr!

Sounds like you know each other a bit.
Ear tags I´ve used last good for 2 weeks then slacken off gradually and are done in 3 months tops.

Latest posts