weaning question

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
I'm weaning 9 calves on a 7acre pasture of ryegrass. With all this wonderful rain they are not keeping up with the grass. Im thinking of turning some cows, including the ones they are being weaned off, in to help get the ryegrass grazed off (management reasons) what amount off time should i give the calves with no access to mom.

kenny thomas":2lsmiw2y said:
I almost never have any luck putting them back with their momma unless its heifers that I put back the next year.
I think i better take the time to cut the mama cows out and leave them were they are. Thanks

I think you will find that you better put some Dry cows in there if you feel that you need more grass eaters, they better be good cows too and be able to fight the calves off cause those calves will try to suck them and even if they are dried up JMO

Mine must be babies this time, because the stupid things have been weaned since last october and I caught them trying to suck a heifer I threw in with then, so out she came. I don't know what it is this year, but there's 2 or 3 in my small feedlot that just wanna keep sucking anything that will stand there, milk or not. They're just feeder steers, so their time is limited anyways, but its a pain when I can't throw a cow in with them when I need to.

Some will suck no matter what you do or how long. Generally, if they have good feed in front of them it helps.

Farmgirl

Find some other way unless you want to wean off the calves more than once. Calves will want to go back to sucking and mommas will let them.
Sounds like you maybe need more cows.

Have several other options. Just busy and thought about just opening the gate and letting everbody in. This little pasture sits behind my dads house. I plant it everyfall so he can hunt from the house. Like to plant it in pearl millet in spring.i can move the calves somewhere else, cut the mamas from the group of spring calvers their running with.probably this weekend going to move mamas to a different property. Greybeard these are my more cows(replacement heifers) but if you can guarantee the rain keeps falling ill look into getting some more

Latest posts