Weaning Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

gg4rebels

Reaction score
My two month old calf is eating about 3 lbs of calf starter a day and some hay. He will drink some milk from a bucket occasionally. Is 3 lbs enough without the milk? Also, how much should I offer him a day?

Normally 2 pounds a day of quality calf starter a day is considred about right. Just keep in mind that you are going to have to keep graining the little beast at least until he would normally be weaned off a cow.

When would a calf normally be weaned off its momma? Still learning. The two calves seem very health. We have built a lot off the barn for them to leave the barn and graze on some great bermuda grass. Long story....short version.....let them out of barn and month old when through fence, ran off, a video of the chase would have earned us big $$$$$. So, after that learning experience they are not free ranging on our farm yet.

gg4rebels":2lclamy9 said:
When would a calf normally be weaned off its momma? Still learning. The two calves seem very health. We have built a lot off the barn for them to leave the barn and graze on some great bermuda grass. Long story....short version.....let them out of barn and month old when through fence, ran off, a video of the chase would have earned us big $$$$$. So, after that learning experience they are not free ranging on our farm yet.

Weaning and adjusted weaning weights are predicated on the industry standard of 205 days.

That's not much grain for a 2 month old calf . Start to move hin up on grain SLOWLY until he is getting all he can eat . Let him have grass free choice, and all the grain he can eat . If he's a beef calf later on you can limit the grain, if he's a holstein he needs to stay on a high grain diet .

Larry

Thanks Larry. Actually I supplied incorrect info. I give him 3 lbs in the am and 3 lbs in the pm. The one month old does not eat much of the grain yet so the older calf is getting most of it. The younger calf still takes a bottle 2x a day. They are both getting quality hay once a day. We will have the fence around the feed lot this weekend so they will also be able to graze. These are Holstein steers. Thanks again. Gale

gg4rebels":7ed02ltm said:
Thanks Larry. Actually I supplied incorrect info. I give him 3 lbs in the am and 3 lbs in the pm. The one month old does not eat much of the grain yet so the older calf is getting most of it. The younger calf still takes a bottle 2x a day. They are both getting quality hay once a day. We will have the fence around the feed lot this weekend so they will also be able to graze. These are Holstein steers. Thanks again. Gale

Gale, that sounds a lot better :D .

Larry