Weaning a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old simangus calf that probably already weighs 500 pounds. The steer has been eating grass and beef mix for at least 3 months. He is out of schedule with my other calves and I want to wean him and market him in the next two months. I have him with an 8 month old replacement heifer for company. I am using fenceline weaning which I find to be low stress. My cattleman friend gave strong advice that I should not wean this early. He said it was not good for the mother (her first calf). I would like to hear why this could be detrimental to the mother!

Thanks. My friend often gives me advice because that is the way he has been doing it for a long, long time. He says it so firmly sometimes that I need to get another opinion for fear that he may be right even though he has no substantive basis. Another example was a cow I wanted to breed back as soon as she came in after her calf was born. He was firm that I wait 60 days before putting her with the bull. He could not give me a biological reason.

If you don't want your calving season moving up every year you'll wait. If your bull is tearing down fences you need to rethink things anyway

We keep the bulls with the cows year round and someone checks the cows everyday. Can't see the need for a breeding season in the south with a small herd. If you can't make a pot load why have a breeding season in the south??

No specific breeding/calving season seems like it would be a lot harder the manage vacinations, wormings, weaning etc then it would be worth

Bigfoot":2oi8t8el said:
I wean all first calf hiefers early. I think the rest does them good.
Not sure how much rest they actually get walking the fences bawlin for their calf 24 hrs a day--

greybeard":2b4l7kd3 said:
Bigfoot":2b4l7kd3 said:
I wean all first calf hiefers early. I think the rest does them good.
Not sure how much rest they actually get walking the fences bawlin for their calf 24 hrs a day--
That;s what fencline weaning reduces. After about 2 days 3 at the most the calves never make a peep and neither do the cows.

Latest posts