Weak calf

Help Support CattleToday:

AppleView

Reaction score
I bought a 350 lb calf at an auction. They claimed he had been weaned for a month. I could not find out what he was being fed so I took him home and started him on a calf starter grain mix from my local elevator and hay. He did fine for about a week and then one day he was just laying down and was real hard to get up. Once I did get him up he seemed bloated and had diarrhea and gas. I took him off the grain and fed just hay. He got better so I added back the grain. Again he got diarrhea and seemed real weak. I took the grain away and now just eating hay. Been about 1 month on just hay and he still acts real weak. Any ideas what might be going on or what I might need to do?

Hard to say. Heres something to try. Give him a shot of vitamin a&d, a BoSe shot(selenium), and some dex. Worm with safegaurd. Feed him hay and sweet feed mixed with 12-13% pellets.

If it was mine, coming from sale barn. I'd start with vaccinations(Covexin8 etc), dewormer, and good dose of vitamins(i hear MiltiMin90) is good. Kind of sounds to me like a deficiency of some sort. Maybe some electrolytes in his water too, even if you have to drench them to him. Give that a couple days then introduce the grain very gradually 1/2cup - 1cup more every few days.

Latest posts