We heard two shots......

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
We heard the first shot and then silence for about 3 minutes. We don't like to interrupt each other on the handhelds or cell phones. Person that shoots has first right of refusal :)
There was a second shot about 3 minutes after the first shot, and that is when my son texted me "I got one". He had already pulled the doe a couple hundred feet out of the thicket when we got to him. We loaded her........
E4B335CB-772B-4873-B10A-55418AF9EB1F-9817-000011453933D7DB_zpsf5b81b02.jpg

I ask him why 2 shots. He had time to reload and take a shot at another deer. When he showed me how far the deer was, I was a bit upset that he would attempt it with this particular firearm. After we had loaded the first one in the truck, we started the hunt for the second.
91D294A9-48E1-4CAA-8547-8F2FD88CEB21-9817-000011459835876C_zpsda867e42.jpg

I used a rangefinder. He was 68 yards on the first deer. He reloaded and then walked toward the first deer. That is when he saw the second one. 112 yards. It jumped into the wood line and my son went ahead and retrieved the first deer, assuming he had missed the second one. He did not know until after we got there that he scored 2 deer. It was a nice cool morning but it warmed up fast and we were racing the clock and flies to get the job done.
Jonothan Browning Mountain Rifle, .50 cal. Balls and patches. I'm good to keep it on a paper plate at 50 yards. I think luck (and young steady hands) played a part. This is the first time ever that any of us have taken 2 deer on the same day with muzzleloader. I'm a proud Dad.

And that's my little grandson with me in that second picture. He was with me all morning. He was big fun. He must have scared all the deer away from me toward my son. Yep, that's my excuse

Congrats I could taste that small one that thing will fall apart on a piece of bread... Yumm... way to go our black powder season starts nov 1. I agree TS

It was a bittersweet moment. I am proud of him. But he only said "I got one". He didn't say he needed my help. In fact he had it all under control. I should be happy he can handle it all without me, but there is still a part of me that wants him to need my help. He did it all.
741127DC-EE96-4F05-905A-8B11F0BDBE63-9817-00001170CE96346F_zpsa1c41ec7.jpg

I would walk by and ask if he needed anything, and he would tell me to go get some wash water, or put the dog in the pen; things I used to tell him to do :lol2:
I've got 6 children. He is the 5th. I should know by now that they grow up. It has been a wonderful and enlightening day, again. Some days I feel extra special blessed, and this is one.
We are going yote hunting over the gut pile shortly. ( only killing the bad ones though)

I did a double once with a knight rifle. I thought was shooting at the same doe till I walked up to two lying together. The only problem was I could only kill one the entire season. :oops:

Ouachita":2gf1ggde said:
It was a bittersweet moment. I am proud of him. But he only said "I got one". He didn't say he needed my help. In fact he had it all under control. I should be happy he can handle it all without me, but there is still a part of me that wants him to need my help. He did it all.)

I know the feeling and what really sucks is when they get smarter than you. Saving grace on this is they at least turn to you for wisdom but this gets more infrequent each year.

Looks like a good morning, and Dad your just getting old. But you have a little one to teach and cherish. I don't think I'll live long enough to see any grandkids, you are blessed.

slick4591":63novtrb said:
Daddy's little boy is turning into daddy's young man. Good for the both of you!
True, and thanks. It's a good thing I have grand kids that will be old enough to "hang out with the old man" when my kids get to big for their britches. It never crossed my my mind until this past year when I accidentally put my sons (the one in this picture) boots on, and they fit. The thought of empty nest syndrome has entered my mind and bothers me.

I know this picture don't look right, but the deer hit the ground well before dark. He walked back to the house to get the tractor, and Mom, and Mom took his picture. He is tagged out unless he hunts in the zone south of us, which is only a few miles.
669F43FC-EC19-4040-A109-3D4013842713-13373-000014EF8F53A59D_zpsf4b0a91c.jpg

3 shots, 3 deer, in 5 days.

My 12 year old daughter has never killed a deer. She wants to really bad, but she hasn't had that level of enthusiasm or patience needed for success (and luck has not cut her any slack). Now that she has witnessed big brothers success, she is ready. I think this will be her year. She helped me earlier in the year to freshen up some salt licks, clear shooting lanes, and bush hog. Then it seemed she lost interest, until now. We turned up some fresh dirt this evening near a couple of places she likes to stand. We'll see.

Latest posts