We can start now.

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Due date today and we are 20% done with 150 on the ground.

We are noticing lighter birthweights this year. Thinking due mostly to the mild winter we had. Anyone else would didn't experience a bad winter noticing the same?

Most are living...……..

Seems like our calves were lighter this year, and in general just went well. If the last 20 would just calve we could call it a wrap.

gcreekrch said:

We are noticing lighter birthweights this year. Thinking due mostly to the mild winter we had. Anyone else would didn't experience a bad winter noticing the same?

Most are living...……..

Do you have any theories why it is so many of your cows calve prior to their due date every year? 10% seems like not an unusual number here, 20% seems very unusual.

Mine started right on time.. I had quite a variation in birthweights.. a few from mature cows were small, and then I had some whoppers too.. I always do, but this time it was just at the limit for a couple heifers

It's the due date for my cows today as well! And we are 50% done already 1 down and 1 to go lol

At least half of my spring calves are heavier than normal. And with the poor nutrition they've had for the last year I don't know why.

As time goes we have all selected for more calving ease. I will bet even Silver has backed his birth weights down from ten years ago. By selecting for less birth weight we are also shortening gestation. We might not notice it but after 2 to 3 generations of this it reflects in cows with shorter gestation periods. We have had crappy weather and I haven't noticed a birth weight increase. Three day snow total around 2 ft. Hopefully the wind lets up some today.

Silver said:
gcreekrch said:

Most are living...……..

Do you have any theories why it is so many of your cows calve prior to their due date every year? 10% seems like not an unusual number here, 20% seems very unusual.

Shorter gestation Angus cattle. A couple years ago we were 30% done before we started.

Little slower this year. 76% in 30 days.

170 left and still getting 10 or 12 per day. We know there are about 20 June calvers.

I find it gets a little harder to pay attention towards the end. We had a May 1 cut off, got one lonely soul left to check on. Doesn't appear she's in any hurry.

Silver said:
I find it gets a little harder to pay attention towards the end. We had a May 1 cut off, got one lonely soul left to check on. Doesn't appear she's in any hurry.

Put the dogs on her, she'll calve...……….

Silver said:

yup, it definitely does.. especially if you're done with your heifers

Our first three calves were average or maybe a little small but they got bigger from there. Big blocky calves out of our first calf heifers made for some extra work. Didn't help some cane over 100lbs. That CE Angus must have been broken.

holm25 said:
Our first three calves were average or maybe a little small but they got bigger from there. Big blocky calves out of our first calf heifers made for some extra work. Didn't help some cane over 100lbs. That CE Angus must have been broken.

Now that's funny ours were exactly opposite. Even set a new record for the heaviest calf on the farm 118lbs then they all went back to avg 75-80lbs.

Latest posts