WDGS

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Everyone is telling me that I need to start feeding WDGS to stockers, and at $10-30/ton I can see why. I can't go through enough to justify truckloads yet, but I have a neighbor with a feeding floor who does and I may be able to work something out with him. So how would I pull off feeding this stuff to my stocker calves and what would be a good mix to utilize it? As I've stated before, soyhull pellets are available close as well. I would like to stay away from feeding corn, I would rather sell it and buy something else.

Everyone is telling me that I need to start feeding WDGS to stockers, and at $10-30/ton I can see why. I can't go through enough to justify truckloads yet, but I have a neighbor with a feeding floor who does and I may be able to work something out with him. So how would I pull off feeding this stuff to my stocker calves and what would be a good mix to utilize it? As I've stated before, soyhull pellets are available close as well. I would like to stay away from feeding corn, I would rather sell it and buy something else.
WDGS? Not everyone speaks fluent acronym. I'm going to assume you mean Wet Distillers Grains with Solubles.

And if soy based be sure you don't feed to retained heifers or any breeding stock.

WDGS? Not everyone speaks fluent acronym. I'm going to assume you mean Wet Distillers Grains with Solubles.

And if soy based be sure you don't feed to retained heifers or any breeding stock.
Thankyou Travlr for the translation. I knew he wasn't speaking Ivrit! PS agree on the soy base

Yes wet distillers grains with solubles.

Why no soy for breeding stock?
High estrogen affects fertility negatively. I met a guy that does custom grain and sells a butt-load of it because commercial feeds are getting so contaminated with crap. He raised hogs and fed soy, noticed the decreases in fertility, and started making his own rations... now out of the hog business because he's so busy with the grain.

It is believed to affect Estrogen levels and reproductive health. It can in humans, but I have not seen much research on cattle.
I had heard that with people.

Most livestock eat soy meal or soy products of some sort through their lives. Never heard of it being a problem.

You would have to eat 4-6 pounds/day of raw soybeans to be considered high concentration of IVF. That would be 1.25-2.25 pounds of protein, which would be more than you would find in feed, or food for humans.
It's not a much of a worry as some like to make it. I feed SBM and red clover, which is higher than soy, and don't have any problems with cows or sows. In fact dairies feed soy to aid in reproduction.
If it's affordable, then feed it.

I had heard that with people.

Most livestock eat soy meal or soy products of some sort through their lives. Never heard of it being a problem.
And you won't. It's a very good protein source. I've never heard of any soy based WDG. Most is corn or milo.

Old timy stocker supplement for small operators was ground ear corn. Worked especially well right after turnout to balance washy grass.

Current common stocker supplement for small operators is a DDG mix with ionophore. Big benefits for distillers are that it has no starch, and it is a cheaper energy source that corn.

TMR owners can easily use semi loads of wet cake, but it a hassle for the guy with two 5 gallon buckets. How many pounds of DM will you feed per day?

Last edited:
Old timy stocker supplement for small operators was ground ear corn. Worked especially well right after turnout to balance washy grass.

Current common stocker supplement for small operators is a DDG mix with ionophore. TMR owners can easily use semi loads of wet cake, but it an issue for the guy with two 5 gallon buckets.
Neighbor gets wet every couple weeks. If I can figure out how to utilize it properly I can buy some from him. I just don't want to use it as a stand alone product for supplementation.

And yes there was a lot of ground ear corn fed not that many years ago. I don't have a picker or facilities to mess with that though.

What else are you are you planning to feed with the WDGS? Square bales, WDGS, and protein supplement can all go in wooden feed bunks. Five gallon buckets, a scoop shovel,and muscle. You can feed calves with very little over head.

A good friend feeds a lot of it. He said the trucking right now costs more than the load of WDGS does.

What else are you are you planning to feed with the WDGS? Square bales, WDGS, and protein supplement can all go in wooden feed bunks. Five gallon buckets, a scoop shovel,and muscle. You can feed calves with very little over head.

A good friend feeds a lot of it. He said the trucking right now costs more than the load of WDGS does.
I'm making bunks from telephone poles and conveyor belt. Can't beat the price per foot.

What kind of protein supplement is he using? And how much of each of the three? Running a scoop shovel don't bother me. World needs ditch diggers and I'm one of them.

I'm making bunks from telephone poles and conveyor belt. Can't beat the price per foot.

What kind of protein supplement is he using? And how much of each of the three? Running a scoop shovel don't bother me. World needs ditch diggers and I'm one of them.
You should post some pics of what you're building.

He's feeding with a TMR. Ground hay, corn silage, WDGS, Purina balancer supplement, and shell corn. Not sure the recipe. I know his Purina supp is ½ lb/ hd/day. I use a similar Purina product but mine is 1lb/hd/day.

Latest posts