Watermelons Moved

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Been keeping a good eye on the peas, corn, melons etc about 3-4 times nightly with spotlight and shotgun.

Have a mystery here. Something is carrying my melons across a field next to the melon patch. Found some as far as 100 yards away.

I don't think deer, coons, or armadiggers can carry them? Only thing I can think of is coyotes.

Anybody ever seen a coyote carrying a 5-10 lb. melon? Teeth marks don't look to indicate them and stranger things have happened, but about 25-30 were moved last night and I doubt they are rolling them. :help:

Mike, strange?? Maybe a Woodchuck, or Ground Hog?? Must be some critter trying to store them.
Any evidence of some being eaten??

mnmtranching":3ex7d21d said:
Mike, strange?? Maybe a Woodchuck, or Ground Hog?? Must be some critter trying to store them.
Any evidence of some being eaten??

They all have evidence of being partly eaten. Some are half eaten. There are no woodchucks or groundhogs here.

I do know that coyotes will eat melons, but just don't figure they would carry them off unless they are taking them to a den?

Got a rain last night, maybe I can see some tracks now......................

MikeC":1qg0zifv said:
Been keeping a good eye on the peas, corn, melons etc about 3-4 times nightly with spotlight and shotgun.

Have a mystery here. Something is carrying my melons across a field next to the melon patch. Found some as far as 100 yards away.

I don't think deer, coons, or armadiggers can carry them? Only thing I can think of is coyotes.

Anybody ever seen a coyote carrying a 5-10 lb. melon? Teeth marks don't look to indicate them and stranger things have happened, but about 25-30 were moved last night and I doubt they are rolling them. :help:

Crowder and his wimmen maybe????? Might have scared them and they dropped the melons and rumbled off.

Mike, get one of those trail cam things, get some photos, We need to find out what is going on. I have had some half eaten chickens from yotes but never garden stuff. Maybe you better sit out with a shotgun and spotlight. :nod:

Some sort of critter toted or rolled some bowling ball sized citrons out of a garden patch I had last year. Never solved that mystery.

Do you havea large dog cause my black lab can fit a small pumpkin in his mouth cause he thinks its a ball. He ate one the other year they were larger than a softball and smaller than a volleyball. Hope you find outwhats going on.

Caught two yotes in there last night at about 1:00 A.M.

Pretty sure I got some #4 shot in one of them.

Hard to hold a spotlight and shoot too. :(

I ate lunch with the warden today and I asked him his thoughts. He said that racoons are known to move them some distances from the field. I have seen yotes have eaten them but never seen them move them of course I'm sure they could.

Jogeephus":hqs5jeu9 said:
I ate lunch with the warden today and I asked him his thoughts. He said that racoons are known to move them some distances from the field.

That's what someone I know commented... since coons like to wash their food first. Have a creek in the direction those melons were moved?

MikeC":gfheywrg said:
Caught two yotes in there last night at about 1:00 A.M.

Pretty sure I got some #4 shot in one of them.

Hard to hold a spotlight and shoot too. :(

Guess you set the cold beer down before you shot. :lol:

Jogeephus":ilssbmtg said:
Just curious but did you ever determine exactly what was moving the melons?

Coyotes. They were trying to get them to a den of little yotes in a neighbors pasture.

We found the hole the other day and poured 5 gallons of diesel in and set it afire.

Maybe theys gone now?

I was going to guess raccoons. I think we had coons do that when I was a kid. I kinda remember finding melons away from the patch and partially eaten.