Water

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H_Kid07

Reaction score
Someone told me this at a show.... If your steer wont drink the water then add a pack of kool-aid to it. It gives it some flavoring. Have you heard this? Is there other ways?

I heard that before but what they said was to add the kool aid about a week or so to the water so the animal get the taste so when you get to the show the water will taste the same after you ad the kool aid

I've seen people put sprite or coke in the water and get the same affects.

4-H_Kid07":2jdda1mi said:
Someone told me this at a show.... If your steer wont drink the water then add a pack of kool-aid to it. It gives it some flavoring. Have you heard this? Is there other ways?

Here's the way we have done it for a few years. About a week or so before your first show add some clorox bleach to their water trough, usually about 1/4 - 1 cup depending on the size or the waterer. Then they will have no problem drinking at shows with chlorinated water or weird smelling water buecase they have been exposed to it at home. Ever since we started doing this, we have never had one that didn't want to drink. Clorox (or like walmart brand) is also a very inexpensive way to go about it instead of spending all that money one kool aid that they may just dump out anyways. :D

Colorado2008":2u8v0oh2 said:
4-H_Kid07":2u8v0oh2 said:

Here's the way we have done it for a few years. About a week or so before your first show add some clorox bleach to their water trough, usually about 1/4 - 1 cup depending on the size or the waterer. Then they will have no problem drinking at shows with chlorinated water or weird smelling water buecase they have been exposed to it at home. Ever since we started doing this, we have never had one that didn't want to drink. Clorox (or like walmart brand) is also a very inexpensive way to go about it instead of spending all that money one kool aid that they may just dump out anyways. :D

It also does a dang good job at keeping the troughs clean.

Latest posts