Water

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Things have been flooded here since October. It's very unusual for it to hang around this long even with getting rain the lake level has been drawing down but not alot of changes in low areas. If the estimate that trees need 10 gallons of water per inch a week is correct it will be years unless a drought happens. There were millions of trees destroyed. Just here in my yard I lost trees that were consuming 1000+ gallons per week 52000 gallons a year. That's on 1.5 to 2 acres . In Florida there was over 3000 sq miles of damage and trees lost. The impact keeps compounding.

The gators, pythons and mosquitoes ought to thrive also compounding the impact .....around here the Ash trees just keep coming down. I have a mess in some fence rows.

_103559271_c0234411-anopheles_gambiae-spl.jpg

We have mature eucalypt trees here dying from lack of water especially along dry creek lines where they haven't bothered to put down deep roots to find water.

Ken

I haven't seen it this wet here since 1994 when it rained nearly every day for a year. This year has been stressful to say the least but not as bad as 94.

Caustic Burno said:
M-5 said:
1,920,000 acres . For the sake of caution let's say it's only 200 gal per acre 384,000,000. Gallon per week. That is not being consumed

Grown pine tree pulls up to a 100 gallons a day according to the forester.

Thats what I hear also and the large oaks they say drink 400 to 500 gallons . All I know is the millions of trees we once had are gone and the water table is now only a few feet down. brite side is I now own water front property .

M-5 said:
Caustic Burno said:
M-5 said:
1,920,000 acres . For the sake of caution let's say it's only 200 gal per acre 384,000,000. Gallon per week. That is not being consumed

Grown pine tree pulls up to a 100 gallons a day according to the forester.

Thats what I hear also and the large oaks they say drink 400 to 500 gallons . All I know is the millions of trees we once had are gone and the water table is now only a few feet down. brite side is I now own water front property .

We have salt cedars along our 2 largest river bottom pastures. They are tiny compared to most trees y'all are talking about and they consume 200 gallons per day per tree. They are a junk brush more than a tree. There's hundreds down there. We have decided to start removing them when we can (via land clearing company), mainly for more grazing but couldn't hurt to slow down the water loss.

Besides record rainfall in this subtropical rainforest I live in, timber company cut a 1000 acres of mature pine plantation. The only trees left to suck up any water are
Oaks in my bottom. I have never not been able to get to my working pens with a truck, even after 50 plus inches in Harvey. They cut a 1k acres of pine around me and I can't.

M-5 said:

Unless the forest is totally devoid of understory then the water will be used by something else and if it does lack understory then this effect will be short-lived since nature is very resilient when it comes to keeping things in balance.

Latest posts