Water Well Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I had a pump and some pipe switched out on a water well. I wanted to bounce some numbers off yall and see if they seems in line.

5hp pump with controls $4,000

189' 2" galvanized pipe $1300

Labor $1250

The guy told me they always switch out the controls with the pump. Im not sure about that. That is the difference between $1500 and $4000.

The galvanized pipe would have cost $800 if I had gone to the store and bought it. I understand marking things up but to mark it up $500 on top of $1250 labor doesn't seem quite right.

Any thought? Is this pretty common? Im not mad at the guy but it seemed awefully high. He had done the same job twice already in years past and it was about 1/2 this bill. I didn't press him on a cost up front... my fault... but I want to know for next time.

Also as a reference, we drilled a brand new well with a 3hp about 100 yds from this one for $10k.

Had a new well turnkeyed to 205' in 2009--controllers, casing, pipe, and wired to my house elec panel. Subpump--no galvanize pipe used. I don't remember what hp the pump is. Reciept says $5250.

Wow I just had a bored well put in for my cattle waterers that was 40 feet and it was 2500 for that and my house which was built last year has a 600' drilled well with a 3hp pump not sure of tank info but it was 9,000

By chance did you move up to a larger pump?

5 hp pump will run you around $1500, control box $60 (and yes, might as well stick a new one in on a new pump), new wire (should replace) $300, pipe your quote - $800 = $2660 in materials - rest is markup and labor. Doubling the cost of materials is not uncommon. Don't think you got cheated but I believe had you got some other quotes you could have gotten it done cheaper but if this guy is reliable and gives good, prompt service this means a lot.

Jogeephus":3jna9a3v said:
By chance did you move up to a larger pump?

5 hp pump will run you around $1500, control box $60 (and yes, might as well stick a new one in on a new pump), new wire (should replace) $300, pipe your quote - $800 = $2660 in materials - rest is markup and labor. Doubling the cost of materials is not uncommon. Don't think you got cheated but I believe had you got some other quotes you could have gotten it done cheaper but if this guy is reliable and gives good, prompt service this means a lot.

Thanks for the help.

That is kind of what I thought. He did some other things like was a week late... showed up and started with out calling me. I like to get a call when they know what it needs to give me the status and any options. This guy blew in and out... then threw me a bill for $6K. Kind of leaves you feeling a little raw. I was busy and put a little too much faith in him. Live and learn.