water types, problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends a lot on how many cattle you need to water.

Also, is the pond water relatively clean? Probably not if cattle walk and eliminate in it. In any event, cattle forever have drank pond, stream water without any serious ill effects. Just be sure your de-worming and vaccinating program is good and up to date.

City water probably has chlorine in it. Chlorine leaves standing water fairly fast.

Your own private well water would be less expensive and cleaner (probably) in the long run.

City water costs a lot more than private water, obviously.

the cost to get a valve can be quite costly for city water, about $2000 here in Ga, if we have any water left :( . r u pumping the pond water to a trough?

wanting to run 4 cow calf pairs as a model

300 feet from road frontage worth of water line to be installed and a custom water mechanism placed

Well I am in Arizona so water is precious, but the stubby pencil is often your best exercise.

Having said that, ponds dry up (at least around here) so if you have access to a reliable source it may be worth a few more bucks to go that way. I didn't quite understand your description, but 300 feet is nothing with plastic pipe, just make sure you get it below any frostline or future erosion depth. Go for as much storage as you can reasonably afford - it can really pay off.

OhioRiver":31ed2ith said:

300 feet from road frontage worth of water line to be installed and a custom water mechanism placed

With 4 cow/calf pairs, you can figure on them drinking between about 40 and 80 gallons per day, depending on temperature, wind, humidity factors.

Might want to get a 2,000 to 3,000 black plastic storage tank and put close to your water "tanks" (or whatever you call them there) and run the water line (underground, of course) and put a freeze-proof faucet unit at tank to keep it filled. Storage tank for back-up and/or daily use of water.

OhioRiver":29oftuwa said:
city water versus pond water

what are my pros and cons here for supplying water to my cows

Pros:

City/well water is uncontaminated and, depending on the type of tank you chose, will probably stay that way.

City/well water will not be a source of lepto, e-coli, or any other disease.

City/well water will always be there, and does not dry up - therefore providing a reliable source of water for your animals.

Cons:

City/well water will probably cost you more in the short run.

OhioRiver":2ks3t6t9 said:

IMO, I think it would take a while for a pond and/or well to pay for itself providing water for only 4 pairs.

OhioRiver":hefpmmyz said:
what manufacturer is the best for the tanks to place in the field

Manufacturer doesn't really matter... "All" of those black agricultural grade poly/fiberglas tanks are essentially the same. Black is better since guards against sunlight entering and growing algae. Also black is a "solar collector" during cold months.

Just be sure any tank has a UV inhibitor in its construction. Standing by themselves in the open they should last for years.

Usually a stocked item at most "real" farm & ranch stores.

thank you for telling me about the black thing. i did not know

Running Arrow Bill":192j2l95 said:
OhioRiver":192j2l95 said:
what manufacturer is the best for the tanks to place in the field

Manufacturer doesn't really matter... "All" of those black agricultural grade poly/fiberglas tanks are essentially the same. Black is better since guards against sunlight entering and growing algae. Also black is a "solar collector" during cold months.

Just be sure any tank has a UV inhibitor in its construction. Standing by themselves in the open they should last for years.

Usually a stocked item at most "real" farm & ranch stores.

Latest posts