water rights

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
owning and having the right of water rights is the most valuable part of a farm. but, not using the water is another problem. i have not irrigated my farm since i have own it from 2005. every two years, i have to fight for an extension. in northwest, we have endless and excessive rains from October thru March. if you have webbed feet, it is great. by late spring, the ground is still soft and wet. by early summer, the pastures grow wild life fire. with without water rights, the value of land depreciate extensively.

coming from los angeles, cal., water is a precious commodity and finite. i do not want to irrigate my pastures during fall,winter, and
springs, just to meet the requirements of using well water. finally, i got a three year extensions of maintaining my water rights, once again until sept 2015. do you guys have the same problem in your region, county, or states.

Heard about one family that the State has taken their water rights even though they have had them for almost a century because they were not irragating. They filed for extensions, but were denied.

Had the State file on a water right we have. Got notice that we were to withdraw our rights to this reservior hubby's grandfather build back in the 40's. Just waiting to be summoned to water court.
Funny part is, is the reservior is 95% washed out due to a muskrat.

I luv herfrds":ynuchwu7 said:
Heard about one family that the State has taken their water rights even though they have had them for almost a century because they were not irragating. They filed for extensions, but were denied.

Had the State file on a water right we have. Got notice that we were to withdraw our rights to this reservior hubby's grandfather build back in the 40's. Just waiting to be summoned to water court.
Funny part is, is the reservior is 95% washed out due to a muskrat.

thanks "i luv herfrds"--some counties or states are selling water rights when the irrigations or farmers are not using it to corporation
for water companies to generate revenues for local counties or states. gave plenty time for farmers to responds but usually elder farmers are the one that are loosing their water rights for water companies. i had to explain and fight for my rights as a beef producers. be aware for local counties or states to find ways of revenues to meet their shortages from their budgets. thanks

uscangus":fy93oypg said:
do you guys have the same problem in your region, county, or states.

No.

I can use my water well(s) pretty much as I please here in Texas. Irrigating out of the river is a different story.

Starting two years ago, you have to get a permit to drill a water well here.

uscangus":2q71g10h said:
owning and having the right of water rights is the most valuable part of a farm. but, not using the water is another problem. i have not irrigated my farm since i have own it from 2005. every two years, i have to fight for an extension. in northwest, we have endless and excessive rains from October thru March. if you have webbed feet, it is great. by late spring, the ground is still soft and wet. by early summer, the pastures grow wild life fire. with without water rights, the value of land depreciate extensively.

coming from los angeles, cal., water is a precious commodity and finite. i do not want to irrigate my pastures during fall,winter, and
springs, just to meet the requirements of using well water. finally, i got a three year extensions of maintaining my water rights, once again until sept 2015. do you guys have the same problem in your region, county, or states.

Are you talking about well water or river water? Wyoming has had a moratorium in place that forbids new irrigation wells to be dug since about 1995 due to drought. Each farm that has river water rights is allocated a specific number of shares from a specific irrigation district, and those shares cost - regardless of whether the full share is used or not. It is also a long, drawn out procedure to adjudicate water rights from a specific district to a well on the property.

msscamp":383mpofu said:
uscangus":383mpofu said:

Are you talking about well water or river water? Wyoming has had a moratorium in place that forbids new irrigation wells to be dug since about 1995 due to drought. Each farm that has river water rights is allocated a specific number of shares from a specific irrigation district, and those shares cost - regardless of whether the full share is used or not. It is also a long, drawn out procedure to adjudicate water rights from a specific district to a well on the property.

thanks msscamp in your kind response-i have well water and river water. well water is also an excellent source of water with abundant aquafills under my farm's pastures. every year before the two year extensions ends-i would end up wishing, contesting and applying for an extensions for more than two years. finally, i was able to receive for a three year. i was hoping to get a five year extensions. so far, i am glad that i don't have to irrigate in order to save precious water. i understand that in some areas are in major drought such as west texas and oklahoma with their wild fire. with all the rains last winter and cold temperature in west texas and oklahoma, it kill the green and fertile lush grass and pasture. i hopes and pray they get our endless needed rains in that area. it is sad to see local farmers in that predicaments and hopes they do well with God's helps. uscangus and go Lakers...........

great articles on fighting for water rights and watch out if you have water rights in TEXAS or any other states. click a recent news on "www.dtnprogressivefarmer.com" on Property Rights-fighting for water rights by Victoria Myers on 4/20/11.

beware on the security of retaining and owning any water rights my fellow board members. i fought my water rights for many years. good luck to all of us. uscangus and go lakers

this case will take precedent if it win;hence, the states will take our water rights to all farmers and beef or crop producers.

with passing the CWA, there is your real legal issues of water rights and river access.

Latest posts