water rights as a prime value to property

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
besides big subsidies and big government, i hate when my neighbors check and monitor my water usuage. in my state of wa, if you don't use it, you loose it. before work, i had to go to dept of ecology to verify my water rights not to use it and maintain my water rights
in western washington, we have a lot rain and wet. hence, the grass and pastures are filled with water. if you are webbed feet, you are great.

in the last 5 years, i have not use it but have maintain my water rights without using it. coming from the city, i expect nosy neighbors and maintaining with the "jones." here, i moved to the rural area to get to know people, have space, creativity, see stars at night, and enjoy the natural resources and be independent. i hate my neighbors that monitor not using my water rights and reporting to the local govt. being in the rural area, you would expect hospitality and help each other in case of trouble or emergency. with five kids, i wanted my children to see and be inform how food is created and nurtured. i lived simple with no european cars or fancy cars like the city folks.

well, i was upset and had to verify my water rights and extend another five years. i could do what some of my neighbors would do and leave the water sprinkler "on" for his field while it is freaking raining for several days. i know that it is programmed to be turned on butttttttttttt it is raining like cats and dogs. coming from los angeles,ca, water is a special commodities in western texas or oklahoma or arizona where water is precious. being a farmer, you would expect your neighbor to be friendly whether he is tilling his soil, dairy man, or cow/calf producer;because you are doing what you like and no big government.

lucky, they agree with my logical reason and extend another five years. sure, i could turn on the well pump and turn the water in the field
to run the meter alllllllll day while it is raining or it is sunshine(just to meet requirements). i am not encroaching their property or property rights or their business. just a newbie farmer trying to enjoy his freedom, space, and right to control his food sources and surroundings from big government and from the city. uscangus, go seahawks and lakers.

Could you explain what water rights are. By reading your post I am assuming you have a well. If you do not use it you loose the right to use it? Is this a well for irrigation only? Or is this a pump in a river or stream?
In other areas like the panhandle of north Texas there are many wells. They encourage one not to use them but if they don't they will not take there right to use it away. I is all about water conservation as the aquifer is running low.

2barmcattle":1t23zkbq said:
I hear that T Boone Pickens is buying up water rights all over the US. What does that tell us?
There may be a good attorney on the board that can help but I'm thinking in Texas all water belongs to the state. We're just allowed to use them free (for now).

TexasBred":snt3npgy said:
2barmcattle":snt3npgy said:
I hear that T Boone Pickens is buying up water rights all over the US. What does that tell us?
There may be a good attorney on the board that can help but I'm thinking in Texas all water belongs to the state. We're just allowed to use them free (for now).

Texas is a ground water capture state for water. Which technically means if you capture it, its yours. This has begun to be changed recently at the local county level since the aquifers are being depleted. If you had a well before the change you can be grandfathered and exempt. If you did, then not the counties are now pooling water, much like they did oil. You have to buy water rights each year. Areas where water is becoming more scarce, farmers/ranchers are being denied water rights. They cannot even drill a well in some cases.

Water rights are becoming a bigger and bigger deal. Purchasing property with established water rights guarantees your ability to farm. Purchasing property with already drilled high volume wells, further increases the value. In California (I hate the state, but have to use it as an example) rice farmers now make more money selling their water from their water rights than they could ever make planting a crop.

Many Farms/Ranches north of LA, make all their money on selling water to LA.

We have a piece of property (Brazoria County)where we pump about 4,000,000/year, and we pay for the water rights. Its $100 to have the well, and we pay about $.0004/gallon. Its cheap, but it still adds up over time, last year about $1,600.

TexasBred":3iy3g333 said:
2barmcattle":3iy3g333 said:

I don't believe that is true. When you do an O&G lease you specify the lease is for only oil and gas, not water. With all these high volume fracs they are having to buy the water from land owners. You could make a small fortune off just the water.

A guy I take care of place for purchased thousands of acres of water rights, built a pipeline to some where south east of Austin I bleieve and is supplying the I-35 corridor with water. He is the first person to ever do some thing like this. There are several others groups who have popped up since and are doing the same thing. Some are buying up the water rights under the rail roads. Alot of them have popped up now.

It can be total mess with the river authorities in Texas. If you have property that has been in the family since way back when and it fronts a river, you are grandfathered. If you lease adjacent property that borders the river you are not grandfathered to use that river water.

They have an attitude. The government employees resent the fact you are grandfathered and do all the can to make life cumbersome. It is a control issue for some of them. Others are okay to talk to.

If you drill a water well in Texas now you have to be permitted. That changed a couple of years back - as of January '09 I think but could be wrong.

you are right to 2barmcattle that tibone pickett is acquiring as much water rights in central plains or anywhere TO THE HIGHEST SELLERS, where local governments are selling to generate the lost revenues and bloated expenses. they are taking water rights to local farmers if their rights have expired. if you are old timer and not kept your books, they will take your rights away to sell to corporate companies or tibone.

in washington, water code or a bill was passed on 1917, based on the legal concept of "first in time, first in right"-meaning that it is the individual's right to a specific quantity of water depends on the effective date of the water right(priority date) but, it did not address water rights that were established before 1917.

well, my farm is fourth generation since 1858 or so, the water rights were established before the 1917, water code.
the water right goes with the property. also, the most important thing is that the properties is subdivideable to 5 acreages near the interstate. also, 1971, they passed a GROWTH MORATORIUM in the state or local city in seattle. what pissed me off, they could place a restriction on rural land on not letting us subdivide but city codes are free to expand upward and waterfront property. in return, restriction places impedement on average family to enjoy his family to walk in front of the beach or lake or river in the city. but in our back yard, where they have no desire to live, here, they place a restriction in how we manage our property and water rights.

without the water rights, one day in my children generations, the property has no value with no water to subdivide.
this property will be a legacy for my future children's children. raw lands and farm lands in western washington on the interstate is disappearing fast because of growth of technology and other industries. water is still prime issues eventhough water is fresh and plentiful.. governor arnold in california last year was planning to acquire and purchase water on the river between oregon and washington thru pipeline. we, at northwest, decline his proposal.

Brute 23":2tk7m4zc said:
TexasBred":2tk7m4zc said:
2barmcattle":2tk7m4zc said:

I don't believe that is true. When you do an O&G lease you specify the lease is for only oil and gas, not water. With all these high volume fracs they are having to buy the water from land owners. You could make a small fortune off just the water.

A guy I take care of place for purchased thousands of acres of water rights, built a pipeline to some where south east of Austin I bleieve and is supplying the I-35 corridor with water. He is the first person to ever do some thing like this. There are several others groups who have popped up since and are doing the same thing. Some are buying up the water rights under the rail roads. Alot of them have popped up now.
Oil companies ahve always had to buy the water for use in drilling/fracturing a well. Not necessarily from the landowner but from some source such as a municipal lake, river, etc. It takes a pretty good size stock tank to furnish enough water to frac a well without draining the tank completely. Can't even legally irrigate from a river without a permit. Redidulous.

Brute 23":9725s6ov said:
I think that permitting and all the rules are done on a local level by you ground water authority or what ever it is called in your county.

"Brute 23", in our state, you have to go to the state capital where all the other departments, not your local county.
but, the city folks dictate our water and land usuages