Water Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX

Reaction score
Two questions about the electronic devices used to find or follow water lines: do they work very well and what are they called? I keep thinking "sniffer" but it seems like there is a term for water lines. I need to work on a 3/4" and/or 1" line that snakes all over the place and probably T's off in fifteen directions. Some will be rigid, some PVC. It will be a foot or less in the ground. I'm trying to trace a total of a few hundred feet in every direction imaginable. Also, about what does a decent one cost? Thanks in advance.

Craig-TX

I kinda hate to post this but here goes. Take 2 rods and bend in a L shape. Hold them loosely in your hands with the long part pointed in front of you. Walk across a water line and they will turn and line up with it. Before you get to thinking I'm crazy, try it. It works for about 3/4 of people that try it.

Bama":1802mejt said:
I kinda hate to post this but here goes. Take 2 rods and bend in a L shape. Hold them loosely in your hands with the long part pointed in front of you. Walk across a water line and they will turn and line up with it. Before you get to thinking I'm crazy, try it. It works for about 3/4 of people that try it.

My father happens to be among those 75%. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a heritable trait.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to locate a PVC or non-ferrous water line with electronic equipment unless it was buried with a tracer wire. Maybe a tile probe or something similar (steel rod) would work (until you find the line by pushing down too hard :eek: ).

count me in the 75% that it works for. i've found lines 3 ft deep this way.
small welding wire like for oxy/acc welding works really well. never tried baleing wire but it should work too. it has to be steel though,copper or brass rod won't work

I use coat hangers my self. Problem is if there is a lot of buried metal, i.e. old fencing laying around, it will pick up that junk too.

dun

Latest posts