Wasn't their first rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Got a call last night from 911 around 10:00 pm asking if my cows were out. The location they gave put the cows about 5 miles from me so I was pretty sure they weren't mine but you never know. Dispatcher told me there was a deputy on scene so I told her I'd head that way even though I was pretty sure they weren't mine but I'd gladly lend the deputy a hand. I pull up and there are two deputies on scene but no cattle to be seen. We walk and find some tracks leading into a large field and we shine the field and see eyes but I can't make out what the cattle look like. I go back and get my truck and drive into the field and hit them with my brights. Like gazelles they take off and due to the distance I can't be certain if these things are cattle or wild hogs so I floor it to close the distance. Thank God there had been peanuts in the field because the field was smooth so I'm cutting across the field around 40 mph and close the gap and see they are cows. Not my cows to be sure because I don't think mine can run that fast. I punched the gas and tried to close the gap but they picked up the pace and I lost them in some brush. Driving out I saw tracks all over the field where someone else had run them with a truck. These things are skiddish as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I told the deputy they were surely not mine but if they were mine we'd just shoot them and be done with it. These creatures were bat shyt crazy.

True Grit Farms":16viw867 said:
Need a cowboy on call, or maybe two buckets of feed.

If these cattle belong to who I think they do a bucket of feed would scare the crap out of them because they've never seen such.

If they were mine I'd use my one-eyed dog and the problem would be solved. Crazy cattle ain't worth the lawsuit. These things have been out for over a week it turns out and no one is claiming them even though we are pretty sure I know who they belong to. Someone is going to get hurt because they are grazing ryegrass on a road with some sharp curves on it.

Jogeephus":114gd3rk said:
Got a call last night from 911 around 10:00 pm asking if my cows were out. The location they gave put the cows about 5 miles from me so I was pretty sure they weren't mine but you never know. Dispatcher told me there was a deputy on scene so I told her I'd head that way even though I was pretty sure they weren't mine but I'd gladly lend the deputy a hand. I pull up and there are two deputies on scene but no cattle to be seen. We walk and find some tracks leading into a large field and we shine the field and see eyes but I can't make out what the cattle look like. I go back and get my truck and drive into the field and hit them with my brights. Like gazelles they take off and due to the distance I can't be certain if these things are cattle or wild hogs so I floor it to close the distance. Thank God there had been peanuts in the field because the field was smooth so I'm cutting across the field around 40 mph and close the gap and see they are cows. Not my cows to be sure because I don't think mine can run that fast. I punched the gas and tried to close the gap but they picked up the pace and I lost them in some brush. Driving out I saw tracks all over the field where someone else had run them with a truck. These things are skiddish as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I told the deputy they were surely not mine but if they were mine we'd just shoot them and be done with it. These creatures were bat shyt crazy.

Thats pretty funny. What feral beef recipes are churning in your head ? LOL

skyhightree1":2n25j4f3 said:
Thats pretty funny. What feral beef recipes are churning in your head ? LOL

I got a good mind to go by the print shop and get them to make me up one of those USDA meat stamps and with that I'd corner the market on ultra organic - ultra free-range, grass finished, ultra lean, humanely head shot beef. What more could you want, bannanas with zippers?

Still not sure they are cattle. Might be antelope because they started running when I was about 900 yards from them. But if they are truly cattle, running them will surely make the meat really lean which is a good thing and I'm told is much healthier for you than that fatty marbled stuff the fake news tries to pass off as prime beef. Russians!

callmefence":2t3zcnam said:
Get you a bucket. I hear it's surefire
Fence NOBODY said a bucket would work on wild cattle or cattle that weren't your own. How about you go get a horse and a 12 pack cowboy and sic'em.

Someone hit a cow last night near Paris. Its the 3rd cow hit. I reported one a while back in the same spot. I've been to calls with my husband to cow vs. car, not pretty....

I worry about it. We've got some guys around us that run black cows behind one wire temporary fence in a corn field. All it takes is for one to get out at night, and it becomes a nasty wreck. My neighbor had his cows get out again b/c I saw some crap by my other neighbor's hay stack. I'm glad he's the buffer between us, saves me hay. Although, one of the cows was out a couple of months ago and watched me feed my cows. She walked up a field to get around some irrigation equipment and then walked back up to my house to help herself. She got pelted with rocks until she went home.

they got to know what a bucket or feed sack is to come to it, my ol cows you don't need either one all they got to do is hear my horn and they will come running and follow me for a long ways if I just beep the horn ever so often. Maybe not all cows are like my old Brahman and Brahman cross cattle. Its all in how you train them.

Man over the hill from me had 7 get out last year,all black...they ran right out into the hwy.. And a semi truck plowed em under. killed all of them at once,and buried the rig in the bank..destroyed the rig and almost killed the driver..had a chance to use a pasture next to it rent free after that ..but I like my sleep

No one claims 'em? I've seen how that goes before..
Cows? Out you say? Nope, not mine. I had a bunch but sold 'em all to some out of state feller about a week ago...fer cash too.

greybeard":2vuhon2r said:
Cows? Out you say? Nope, not mine. I had a bunch but sold 'em all to some out of state feller about a week ago...fer cash too.
So do people in your neck of the woods not brand their cattle?
If mine get out there is no question who they belong to, they see they have a brand that is registered and filed in the Okla. brand book. The Sheriff dept. has one of these books so It helps them to know who to call if cattle are out.

BRYANT":8geaiiw7 said:
greybeard":8geaiiw7 said:
If mine get out there is no question who they belong to, they see they have a brand that is registered and filed in the Okla. brand book. The Sheriff dept. has one of these books so It helps them to know who to call if cattle are out.
Branding not required

ALACOWMAN":yscqbndr said:
Man over the hill from me had 7 get out last year,all black...they ran right out into the hwy.. And a semi truck plowed em under. killed all of them at once,and buried the rig in the bank..destroyed the rig and almost killed the driver..had a chance to use a pasture next to it rent free after that ..but I like my sleep

I lost my 69 GTO to black cows on a black night in a curve. Don't you believe any of that Dukes of Hazard bs.
Between the cow short flight and ugly landing needless to say Allstate owned my GTO. Unbranded and no ownership of course.

BRYANT":1sg57ddv said:
greybeard":1sg57ddv said:

Mine are branded and the brand registered. As well as ear tagged with my phone number. It's not required. But I can't for the life of me figure out why someone wouldn't do it.