Washouts

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":2nve0zbw said:
Why would I do that, LA? You can call me selfish, but when I find out how to carry a cow for $150 a year, me and my bankers are gonna buy every cow in Texas.
And you won't help your old long lost friend. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Looks like Beef11 already has it figured out. LA's gonna be one of my bankers, anyway.

Caustic Burno":1bgksdyn said:
Now Texan your learning hobby wantabee accounting. Now all we have do is teach La4 and Beef11.
Caustic, Wannabees dont have to use any accounting. Do they?Please elaborate...

Texan":285t2mll said:
LA's gonna be one of my bankers, anyway.
The bankers make the money without the work. I'll take that job. I never knew a broke banker, but many broke ranchers. ;-)

you're good CB. one short post and everyone gets riled up. Keep up the good work. You start some of the best reading on here. jp

I was thinkin' the same thing jp. People just can't seem to get past the handle and the gruffness to find the value underneath.

I just keep thinking he is going to give up that picture below his name and put in one of either a dead hog or Festus, Hoss just don't seem right to me ;-) .

J

Nowland Farms":63nsq23r said:
CB,

To make sure we all understand what you mean, will you post your definition of a "Hobby Farm/Ranch" ?
Oh we're in for a show now. :lol:

I think I have explained it lets see I sunk a quarter of a million in farm and equipment and expect to get rich on 25 cows , I have 5 cows and guided John Chisolm and an expert on all bovine matters. My cows only cost a 150 bucks a year to upkeep. Congratulations on the new arrival oh puke its a dang calf nothing special about the little ball of hamburger.
Old Belle is sick and I don't know what to do so I come to an internet chat board instead of calling a vet or not having the guts to shoot the worthless cull etc.

My favorite people are the ones who have a handful of purebreds and everything born with nuts IS a top notch herdsire prospect and the thought of nutting the 128 lb BW 430 WW 665 YW bull is quickly put to rest with the notion "He is to good to be a steer" or "with a pedigree like his" or "I paid 5k for his mom" and lastly my favorite "HE IS REGISTERED".

Every head of cattle we have or had is registered.
In a book I call my cattle book.It lists all the info about the 4 legged critter.Brand,color ear tag # and all that good stuff.

Does this mean being registered they're worth more. Maby I should tell them at the sale barn.
Told my wife next time she bought stake to ask the butcher if it came from a registered stock.

Hell I might be paying high prices for unregistered meat. Can't let that happen.

The only butcher that our family has paid was for slaughter, cut & wrap. Buy registered cattle only if the paper is free, have a file full of them, the meat customers have never asked for a copy. May breed the registered Lim to a papered sire...just in case. DMc

But there you are talking about people who would make stupid decisions in any business they get into.

What about the prudent one who buys land below market in cash, gradually builds a commercial herd, learns as much as he can and makes a few bucks now and then from calves? Not to mention take advantage of gov't grants? AND, might I add, doesn't buy hay?

I would call that pretty smart.

You see, not every "newbie" is an idiot. Some of us have plenty of business experience in other ventures which comes in extremely handy in the cattle business.
Where else do you produce a commodity that's highly liquid, low in labor input, low overhead and that its actually fun and where the gov't rewards you with lots of deductions and grants?

I've met a few old cattlemen that struggle because they are up to their noses in equipment debt, land debt and mismanaged land and animals. If that's what you call "real cattlemen", then than you very much, but I'd rather be a "hobby boy".

Andrew

But there you are talking about people who would make stupid decisions in any business they get into.

What about the prudent one who buys land below market in cash, gradually builds a commercial herd, learns as much as he can and makes a few bucks now and then from calves? Not to mention take advantage of gov't grants? AND, might I add, doesn't buy hay?

I would call that pretty smart.

You see, not every "newbie" is an idiot. Some of us have plenty of business experience in other ventures which comes in extremely handy in the cattle business.
Where else do you produce a commodity that's highly liquid, low in labor input, low overhead and that its actually fun and where the gov't rewards you with lots of deductions and grants?

I've met a few old cattlemen that struggle because they are up to their noses in equipment debt, land debt and mismanaged land and animals. If that's what you call "real cattlemen", then than you very much, but I'd rather be a "hobby boy".

Andrew

I won't argue your point cause you are mostly right. I think low overhead, low equipment, low processed feeds are definetly something that needs looked at.

Well, I don't have any tractors or other expensive equipment but a pickup truck, I don't pay any utilities at all as I'm off the grid, I buy wormer 2x a year and feed a $5.25 sack of range cubes every Sunday. I run 11 cows and a bull on 80 acres divided into 3 paddocks. My biggest inputs (aside from land cost) are the cows themselves and the moveable pen panels ($800), a $900 stock trailer and my time. Of course, for me the weekly trip to the ranch is a pleasure I look forward to all week rather than a chore. I cull hard and try to sell calves when they reach 500lbs.

I was heavily invested in real estate and got fed up with renters and the whole landlord thing; not to mention mortgage companies. Cattle are definately a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

Andrwe

Andrew":qnk28hrw said:
Andrew

Did I miss where someone called newbies idiots? I'm a manager at a plastics plant, so I guess I'm an idiot too? :roll:

Andrew, I agree 100% with you. The above is one of the reasons why I'm still in the hobby stage. I really like the ability to load up a few calves on Sunday, drop them at the sale barn, and get a check in the mail on Wednesday. Kind of hard to beat, as far as liquidity goes.

Latest posts