washing

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
i didnt kno which topic to put this in so i picked this on

is it safe to wash a calf (800 pound) when its about 20 degrees outside with the sun shining? because my show heifer got muddy when it snowed and melted. i need to wash her for a show coming up and i dont kno if its safe. i kno this is a dumb question but i need to kno.

cattleluvr18":1recmh8n said:
i didnt kno which topic to put this in so i picked this on

is it safe to wash a calf (800 pound) when its about 20 degrees outside with the sun shining? because my show heifer got muddy when it snowed and melted. i need to wash her for a show coming up and i dont kno if its safe. i kno this is a dumb question but i need to kno.
It's not a dumb question, but as has already been stated, blow her out when you're finished. If you don't ask, you'll never know. 8)

Try to keep her out of the wind while washing her then dry her
ANd maybe the show board

In cold weather I always try to get the legs and belly clean before I ever wet the head and top. The bottom half is always the hardest to get clean and takes the most time. Another trick is to set a heater behind the blower when you dry, really speeds drying time in cold weather.

If they stay wet and it's cold out side they can get what's called rain rot. a few of our steer have ended up with it. Their hair all starts to fall out. One of the steer has gotten so bad that we call him baldy. Luckily my daughter always blows out her steer, Teddy hasn't gotten rain rot like the rest.

Hi Mama,

New to cattle and have noticed my girls are going "bald"...might be tough to find wigs. Just had a lot of rain and cold. What is rain rot???? Thank you :D

Ctalkin":2ma8xm1u said:
Hi Mama,

New to cattle and have noticed my girls are going "bald"...might be tough to find wigs. Just had a lot of rain and cold. What is rain rot???? Thank you :D

have you givin them any meds lately? one time gave a calf a couple of different meds and they like chemically combined and made him loose all his hair. it was really said.

im also new to cattle so i have not a clue to what rain rot is.