Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

mudfork

Reaction score
I've got a solid black heifer, less than 2 years old, that was some warts. It started about 2 months ago as a pencil eraser sized spot about a half inch below an eye. That one is about the size of the end of your pinky now, and a few others are popping up behind the eye. If you look down her neck you can see many BB to pea sized lumps that are not through her hair. The ones you can see are dark grey. She is in a pasture with two other heifers, and one of them now has a small wart at the back/bottom of it's jaw. The plan is to butcher these animals in October. They are all eating well and acting normal. Should I be doing something or changing my plans?

Unless you show cattle, or put bulls on test, just ignore them. Warts & ringworm is like a childhood disease. Once they have had it, & it runs it's course, they won't ever get it again. Always exceptions, but NORMALLY this is true.

i love to tell the story about the time i went in to the feed store and inquired about a vaccine for curing warts....an oldtimer overheard my inquiry and said, "they have a good vaccine and it works, give 'em a shot and the warts will clear up in 3 months, if you don't give them the vaccine it may take up to 90 days for them to clear up." i was well out of the store before it hit me....

For what it's worth, I remember my nephew's ag teacher told him to cut them off and feed back to them. It would help with immunity. :eek:

bretsam":3r16ravg said:
For what it's worth, I remember my nephew's ag teacher told him to cut them off and feed back to them. It would help with immunity. :eek:
The feeding them back is a kin to burying them under your brother in laws sisters cousins front porch. It's the removing them and stimulating the immunity response that does it.

I've got a steer that has had one on his neck for about 4 months now. Its now about the size of half a golf ball and looks like another is growing on top of it. Whats the biggest anyone has ever seen one get?

dcara":2tqakvng said:
I've got a steer that has had one on his neck for about 4 months now. Its now about the size of half a golf ball and looks like another is growing on top of it. Whats the biggest anyone has ever seen one get?
I saw a heifer that had warts so bad she could barely hold her head up. The extended from her brisket, up both sides of her neck and onto her face. Total volume probably over 2 5 gallon buckets full.

Warts will go away after a few months but if u want to get rid of them here are the options...one buy a wart vaccine( this is made up from other cows)...more affective method is to cut the wart take it to a vet and they can make a vaccine specifically for the cow... and third the cheapest and very reliable way and its always work is to cut a wart off the cow and force it down it down the throat

HaHa - that's still around??? Anyway, you don't have to feed it to the animal. A wart is not recognized by the animals system because it is outside the body. Once you CUT it off (making sure to get some skin with the wart), and it BLEEDS, then the body recognizes it as a foreign object & builds immunities to it.

To update you folks, the first heifer that had the warts only has a couple now. She seems to have gotten over them as predicted. The other heifer,that was mention originally to have one wart, now has a few more. I'm optimistic that the warts will run their course with her as well. Thanks for the help.

Mudford, I was about to post a question regarding warts on a yougn steer. He is covered with them, maybe 50 or 60. They all came on in a short time, but he looks terrible. Did your second cow get rid of their warts like the first opne did?

Latest posts