Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Experiencing my first case of warts on a show steer. Any advice on best way to deal with them, how long it should be before they clear up. Any info would be appreciated.

We pinched them with pliers other day anything else we should do? He has a larger number on the face.

Any of these methods:

1. Chop the top off with pliers, scissors, clippers etc then apply some sort of disinfectant to the open wound

2. Buy a human wart treatment from the chemist (eg Wartkill in Oz) and apply to warts. Works well combined with first method.

3. Some vets will have a special instrument sorry I dont know the name which burns the wart off. The best solution - no blood, and ends up the neatest.

4. There are vaccines available but I personally haven't tried any.

5. Some people swear by cutting them off, dicing them up and feeding them back to the animal. I haven't tried this one either.

Also use really good hygiene when working with the warty steer ie have his own brushes, halters etc and disinfect them before use on another steer. Also disinfect his living quarters once you get a new animal if this is at all possible.

Hope something on the list works for you. In case you can't tell we get a lot of warts . . . :roll:

Donald,
We haven't had a case in years, but there was a time when we were ??????????????????????. I tried everytihing, and one method worked every time, no matter if the wart problem was small or huge.

Cut them off. Put them in a geletin capsule, and stick it down the calf's throat..............End of problem.

we just always lance them off and put them in the feed. never have put any ointments on them. usually never have any problems with them again. but just cutting them off is fine.

Thanks for advice guys! Any idea once I cut them off how long before things clean up good enough that I would not get a problem at shows?

TELL YOU THE TRUTH I JUST CUT THEM OFF AND NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THEM ANYMORE. I WOULD SAY PROBABLY ABOUT 5 DAYS LATER THEY WILL START TO COVER BACK UP.

Hmmm...I'll see if one of those works. My show steer last year had warts and my one this year has warts too. At fair last year one ofmy steer's warts fell off! My steer this year has one above his left eye, two on his right jaw and one underneath his chin.

When you pluck them off with pliers or cut them off and they bleed just a little, that also acts as a natural vaccine. If it is bleeding just a little (few drops) that is an open wound and the wart will get into the blood stream almost immediately and act like a vaccine.

Latest posts