Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing warts this time of year? I wonder if it has anything to do with the drought we are in or if that's a coincidence. Does the cold weather gradually knock them out?

Not unusual for my retained heifers to get them, generally in winter (late Dec - Feb). I just ignore them and they go away. That said, I have two 3 year old cows that had them at appx 10 months, went away and all of the sudden they're back. Not big, just a few small clusters. And definitely not in a drought this year. Seriously considering hitting those two with a wart vaccine when we wean next month.

TCRanch said:
Not unusual for my retained heifers to get them, generally in winter (late Dec - Feb). I just ignore them and they go away. That said, I have two 3 year old cows that had them at appx 10 months, went away and all of the sudden they're back. Not big, just a few small clusters. And definitely not in a drought this year. Seriously considering hitting those two with a wart vaccine when we wean next month.
Yep these are on yearling heifers, will be breeding in Nov/Dec and selling a few of them in spring consignment

torogmc81 said:
Anyone else seeing warts this time of year? I wonder if it has anything to do with the drought we are in or if that's a coincidence. Does the cold weather gradually knock them out?

Not sure the area ur in but as far as warts go if ur animals are in a pasture really shouldn't have any. And warts mostly are likely when animals are in wet areas. I have two friends who are hoof trimmers on dairy's. Me personally have only ever seen it on one beef cow

We had them every winter on our weaning calves and even our bred heifers. We started feeding loose salt with iodine or putting out iodine salt blocks we hardly ever see any now.

Hardnosecattleco said:
torogmc81 said:

Not sure the area ur in but as far as warts go if ur animals are in a pasture really shouldn't have any. And warts mostly are likely when animals are in wet areas. I have two friends who are hoof trimmers on dairy's. Me personally have only ever seen it on one beef cow
Mine are beef, in pastures and generally not wet. Still get 'em.

torogmc81 said:

I sent TCR some pics of a bull of mine with the worst warts you ever wanted to see .. They are just now coming off and no it has nothing to do with the dry spell. The cold does nothing for them either.

skyhightree1 said:
snoopdog said:
Adolescence brings them on usually, anybody ever been docked at the barn for them?

If you take one with warts to the barn you will wish you killed it and ate it yourself.

Yeah and it's dumb too because it has no affect on the quality of carcass either, just another reason for packers to dock. The crappy thing is it's a viral fungus so if you have a group of calves or yearlings sharing a water tank or automatic water they'll all likely get them around their face. They'll heal themselves but if you want to speed things up you can take a pair of pliers and just yank them off once they start to get crusty and dry off.

When we showed 4-H heifers growing up wart or ringworm is all that it takes for the vet to fail them when you have to get health papers to attend a show. Our vet was fairly lenient about it but they had to either be very isolated and not obvious or dried up where you could just rip them off and let them heal before the show date.

Out of the blue i have an outbreak of warts this year for the first time ever. Asked around, everyone said first time in a herd with no resistance can be bad and should settle down after a few months and then further outbreaks will be much less noticeable. They look horrible!

I believe, like ringworm, it's like a childhood disease. They get them, build immunity, then most will never get them again. I had them bad this year on our show string cattle. Cannot get into a show with warts. We cut them off with scissors or scalpel. Old timers used to cut them off, grind them up & feed it to the cow.
The only vaccine that "really" works is one made from warts from your farm. If you don't show, just let them run the course. They will die off and go away.

My calves usually get one or two warts over the winter, biggest I've seen is about 1/2".. I'd only be concerned if it was really close to the eyes or something..
I've seen some pictures of the entire front of the animal being *COVERED* in warts, that would be something to be concerned about

No - we are referring to warts. They can come up any place on their body - mostly on the front end. I believe you are referring to hairy heel warts - mostly a dairy problem.
There are numerous "strains' of warts and that is why the vaccine is so in-effective. Like the Pinkeye vaccines.