Wart vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a couple of heifers wart up really bad years back. The warts eventually just go away. Looks pitiful while they are broke out. Haven't had a problem in a long time.

Yea reason I wondered is if I bring in one that's got warts from the barn I don't want it spreading and stuff.. I never really had wart issues with my stuck I been raising. I wish there was a ring worm vaccine even more so lol

Not all wart vaccines work on all warts.
There like a dozen different strains, and the only why to get the right one it to cut one wart off, and have it sent to the company making the vaccine.
One solution is to find an animal with warts. Cut them off and feed them to all your other animals.
Or just let it be...

As has been said, no wart vaccine works on all kinds of warts. If you have a serious wart issue, send some of them into a company that can make a vaccine for you for those specific warts. But it's a crap shoot, the next year you may have exposure to a different wart type and the vaccine is useless. The one time we had warts we just ignored them and they went away. A guy I knew at a small feedlot had bought a heifer with a few warts. Within a week they had spread all over and they were so big she could barely raise her head. I'm talking wart growths the size of water melons, warts growing on top of other warts. He asked what he should do and I told him to cut a couple off and crush some of the smaller ones. Within a month, other than scars you wouldn;t know she had ever had a problem.

skyhightree1":pbk30cwv said:
Gotcha.. I never seen a wart bigger than a dime on a bovine before.
The biggest I had ever seen until that one heifer was maybe the size of my thumb. Most of them are dime size or smaller.

When I saw that guys heifer it almost turned my stomach. He put her in a back lot all by its self and had a hand feed her so he wouldn;t have to see her.

dun":1a9la2v2 said:
As has been said, no wart vaccine works on all kinds of warts. If you have a serious wart issue, send some of them into a company that can make a vaccine for you for those specific warts. But it's a crap shoot, the next year you may have exposure to a different wart type and the vaccine is useless. The one time we had warts we just ignored them and they went away. A guy I knew at a small feedlot had bought a heifer with a few warts. Within a week they had spread all over and they were so big she could barely raise her head. I'm talking wart growths the size of water melons, warts growing on top of other warts. He asked what he should do and I told him to cut a couple off and crush some of the smaller ones. Within a month, other than scars you wouldn;t know she had ever had a problem.
Had a bad one once all over, was getting so bad that they started getting in his eyes. So me and vet spent a hours plucking, and burning warts (had the vet there to give him something to calm down). Had probably a pound of warts when we were done. Vet said the vaccine companies pay like $5-$10 per pound for warts, this was probably 5 years ago.
Sounds like he had a gold mine.