warning labels?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Is this on all vaccines and how common does this really occur?

"As with many vaccines, anaphylaxis may occur after use. Initial antidote of epinephrine is recommended and should be followed with appropriate supportive therapy."

There is a very low % potential with for an anaphylatic reaction with almost any vaccine- potential may differ a little for each vaccine (depending on various factors) but there are FDA safety levels they must meet before being approved. The chances are likely less than 1 in 10,000 having a anaphylactic allergic reaction.

Yes, it is posted on all vaccines and have a bottle of epinephrine always on hand. My number got called last year, didn't have a bottle on me and I lost the calf.

The chances differ, I've used a vaccine called Entervene D for salmonella and have severe reactions in as many as half of the calves treated, but with Bovi-Shield I've never seen a reaction. Keep a bottle of Epi in your tool box just in case.

Larry

tncattle":wq5k3cp2 said:
Do you have to get the Epi from the vet?

My bottle is old so don't really know but use to could buy it at the local feed store....very inexpensive and has saved several cows for me over the years. Use to have one stagger out of the chute and collapse after giving various vaccines along with vitamins, worming, etc. Never tried to isolate the cause. Just pop them with the epinephrine and they'll be up pretty quick.

larryshoat":3j1khh0k said:
I've used a vaccine called Entervene D for salmonella and have severe reactions in as many as half of the calves treated,

Wow, seems very excessive. With those levels sounds like potential contamination of equipment/bottle or lot number may should have been recalled. Anaphylactic reactions are life threatening, so even 5% reaction rate could give you a risk level that is likely unacceptable.

It happens. Rarely, but it happens.
I never saw one in my years of practice, or my lifetime of working with cattle - until I lost a calf about 3 year ago, to what I'm fairly certain was anaphylactic reaction to a Clostridial bacterin. Of course, at the time, we turned 'em right out of the chute and into the pasture - and she went over the top of a little rise and was dead and stiff before we realized something was amiss, because her dam kept running back and forth bawling for her. Even if I'd had epi on hand(which I didn't) I wouldn't have know she was having a reaction.
So...now I keep some epi close by when we're vaccinating, and kick the vaccinates into a holding pen so that I can sort of keep an eye on 'em 'til we finish working the herd. At least that way, if one was having some trouble, I'd have a chance to attempt saving 'em.

Good point Lucky. We have it on hand all the time - not really sure what the dosage would be - not on the bottle. I guess I "assume" 1ml/100#. Of course, ours is so old, probably wouldn't help :shock:

tncattle":2ltqrch0 said:
Is this on all vaccines and how common does this really occur?

"As with many vaccines, anaphylaxis may occur after use. Initial antidote of epinephrine is recommended and should be followed with appropriate supportive therapy."

Yes, it is on most meds, and yes, it does occur. How often depends on the individual animal and med. I would suggest you get a few individual doses of epi from your vet to have on hand just in case. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The only thing that I know of that has a high incidence of Anaphylaxis reaction is anti-toxin type medications, but that doesn't mean other meds don't carry the same risk.