Warm season grass

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I got some warm season grasses and forbes for a native prairie mix. I planted the mix for pheasant and wildlife cover. I would like to mow some and feed it to some calves for winter time. The grasses are big blue stem, little blue stem, canada rye, indian grass, and switch grass. I am just wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't do this.

I am feeding the calves out for beef. They are mostly eating grain at 2% of their bodyweight. I also feed them a little hay or cornstalks so they have something to munch on.

Nothing wrong at all. Only thing you may think about is loosing the winter wildlife habitat. Maybe you could turn your cattle in on it or save it for stockpiled forage.
If you do decide to mow and want regrowth next year be sure to leave some stubble. Most of those grasses do not tolerate short mowing.

Unless you live in the southern hemisphere it pretty much too late for cutting for hay. When/if you cut it make sure to leave th stubble at least 4 inches long, 6 inches is even better.

as said its to late to cut that native grass mix for hay.we have a parie grass or native hay meadow.an we cut it once a year in july.an it has time to get some growth back on it before winter.

As has been suggested. I would use it as standing hay after first frost. Don't over graze it. Leave stubble. Remember the Canada Wildrye has started growing. Manage the field with that in mind. They will over graze the Wildrye. If you must mow, wait for first frost.

I don't have a bailer. The field is all ready brown and the first frost has all ready been here. I was going to cut a little during the winter and rake it up and feed it loose. I am not expecting any nutrition from this grass.

Thanks to all that have replied.

It has the feed value of rained on straw. If you still want to clip it and toss it in loose, it will provide some bedding. Even though it is dead, do not clip it below 4", 6" is better, it needs the stubble to help catch snow and protect the roots from heaving in the winter.
We make a cutting in June and graze again in July and/or August.

Chris H":1kred97v said:
It has the feed value of rained on straw. If you still want to clip it and toss it in loose, it will provide some bedding. Even though it is dead, do not clip it below 4", 6" is better, it needs the stubble to help catch snow and protect the roots from heaving in the winter.
How do ya know? Unless a sample is turned in for testing it could be pretty decent. A lot of grasses, natives included are used for stockpiled forage and hold some good food value until latter in the winter. The bluestem is generally highly palatable and cattle along with horses prefer it over other grasses.
Going back to what to do with it, if you plan to use the property again for hunting I believe I would wait until February and mow it to allow the seed to mature, and the plant to provide shelter for as long as possible. This may give you better hunting next season.

novatech":3tw68e2r said:
Chris H":3tw68e2r said:
It has the feed value of rained on straw.
How do ya know? Unless a sample is turned in for testing it could be pretty decent.

The native grasses usually are only in the 8-10% protein range. The funny thing is that cows do really well on the stuff.

dun":23qsu5ve said:
The native grasses usually are only in the 8-10% protein range. The funny thing is that cows do really well on the stuff.
Dun, our cows won't touch dead switchgrass. What we take off for first cutting has the previous year's dead growth. The cows will sort it out even after going through the hay processor. They love switchgrass hay but the dead stems are not palatable. The charts I remember reading put the protein range at 6% or less for the seed stems of switchgrass & big bluestem harvested after it's died in the winter. And, that 6% is worthless because they just won't eat it. I have seen tests done where they ammoniate it like straw, and it increases the protein content and makes it palatable.

Latest posts