Wanderlust

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I often wonder if i am a rarity because of my wanderlust. It seems that i am looking for the place to settle down but haven't yet acquired the perfect place to do it. My family doesn't have a ranch for me to inherit or step into. So maybe i wander a little looking for oppritunity? I am very interested in going to new places (cattle friendly of course) and would not hesitate to move there if the time was right. My work takes me all over and my family lives in NC and OR so i get to see alot of different country as it is.
Do any of you suffer from wanderlust? Do you see nice places or oppritunities and say "I'd move there".

Can't say that I have ever felt that wanderlust thing. I live more in the "there's no place like home" direction. Don't have a big set up and we just got lucky that my husband was the oldest boy and none of his other siblings wanted to farm/farm here. It was just a matter of right time/place that we are where we are. Now, what we have isn't much - but it is filled with family heritage. Kind of like being able to talk about how something got started because of past generations. Hope to see the place continue with future generations.

Beef11":1qr4vs4d said:
I often wonder if i am a rarity because of my wanderlust. It seems that i am looking for the place to settle down but haven't yet acquired the perfect place to do it. My family doesn't have a ranch for me to inherit or step into. So maybe i wander a little looking for oppritunity? I am very interested in going to new places (cattle friendly of course) and would not hesitate to move there if the time was right. My work takes me all over and my family lives in NC and OR so i get to see alot of different country as it is.
Do any of you suffer from wanderlust? Do you see nice places or oppritunities and say "I'd move there".

Yes. I just can't act on my wanderlust because it's not as easy for a female as it is a male and I envy you that. That is one of several areas that you are superior to me and I acknowledge it. It is a very definite possibility that you're looking for a place that 'speaks' to your heart and you will know your home, I sincerely hope you find it.

Few years ago we took a trip to Idaho, and I am a born and bred Texan....have always lived in Texas, but seein that perdy country up there, I've said many times, if I had to live somewhere else, that's where it'd be. Hubby and I have talked about buyin a lil place up there and maybe spending summers up there later in life. Dunno if you'd call that wonderlust tho...

Every time I go to Colorado on vacation, I just want to stay there. :D The scenery is breathtaking.

Beef11":25zqzf0o said:

All the time .. .

Now don,t get me wrong.. I still see a lot of opportunity up here

but If i was 25 yrs younger..I,d likely be living in South America.

If i was 25 yrs younger..I,d likely be living in South America.
thought about Argentina myself as well as Canada, Nebraska, Kansas Texas almost took a job in missouri of course my old state of North Carolina but I do love my Idaho then in Idaho I can live in 5 or six different places there. Oh well. Right now i have to go where the best oppritunity is. I would still like to gather up and change scenes for a while. maybe give Amarillo a chance.

We wanted to change house and jobs so we up and moved half way around the world with our kids.

Thought about it, sold the house, and sent my husband to england all within 6 weeks.

Don't miss home.

Happy where we are at the moment but I think that a time will come when we move on again.

Highland girl

we are hopefully going to do the opposite to you Highland girl and move the other way, I have been born and breed English, but I now hate this country, the way it is turning out, and now I have travelled to so many countries and sunshine I feel I need a change, and get me some of that Sun. We have family in the States so thinking of that now, quite strongly, California maybe

and what part of England are you in?

Born and raised in the mo. ozarks joind the army at 17 spent several yrs. got out and moved to ohio 14 yrs. then ok. for a while and then somehow got lost here in texas in yr. 86.been here ever since got broke and can't afford to move again.
still take acouple times a yr and go back to the ozarks and then on to ohio to visit 2 daughters and 7 grandchildren.

Cal

Love these Ozark hills, but they are sure getting crowded.
If it wern't so danged cold there in the winter Western South Dakota is where I would be.

I have always moved and yes it is wanderlust. Inherited it from those before. Have worked cattle in every state in the west except california and Washington. The wife and I have been talking about going to south America ourselves. Will probably do that in the next year or so. It gets a little harder to travel as the kids add up but we (I) just haven't found the right country yet. My hat goes off to those of you that know your place in life and enjoy it.

I have always sort of been the exact opposite. Was born in Port Arthor, TX and moved to Alaska when I was 4 1/2 years old. Went to grade school there and then moved to South America. Then we moved all over. It seems that each time we got settled, we moved again. Before I finished HS, I had attended 13 different schools in several states. Most summers were spent with Grandaddy working cattle, here in Texas.

My wife and I then traveled with my work. I had a daughter born on the west slope of Colorado and another born on the west coast of Oregon.

I have been in over 40 different states and all through Canada. There are places that I long to see, but I have been "back home" now for over 20 years, and I am staying. Although I go back in southeast Texas (Orange area) for over 8 generations on my Dad's Acadian side, north central Texas is home.

Too many times I finally got a good thing going and then moved off and left it. Left behind animals, friends, fruit of my labors, and many memories. Now I have something to hold on to and something to leave behind for my children.

I've done my fair share of traveling, but never found a place I thought was better than home. I want to have a little place in the country some day instead of in town, but would still want to live around here.

I got it out of my system when I was young, now I am right back home where I love it the most. Have lived in Arkansas, Arizona, California, and traveled to most of the 48 states...except for northeastern US, never had an urge, probably because I thought there was too much population there.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1gjcw8c2 said:
Beef 11.... come to western Arkansas,take a look around and see if these old Arkansas hills might satisfy that wanderlust! ;-)

DSCN0002.jpg
[/img]

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":37z3fhwk said:
Beef 11.... come to western Arkansas,take a look around and see if these old Arkansas hills might satisfy that wanderlust! ;-)

Springer that is beautiful. Congrats on your guru stat. Enjoy your posts.

No great wanderer, when we had to leave Rhodesia(Zimbabwe), we went to Namibia then South Africa,south of England before N.C. Other than 3 years in Zambia as a schoolboy when my dad covered an engineering project there,that is about all the wandering I have done! ;-)

Latest posts