Walnut saw logs

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
Does anyone know what price walnut saw logs are bringing?

I heard one price of .80 a board foot

Depends a lot on your location, topographical aspect, distance from mill, what scale they use etc. But I think that sounds about right. Last I heard it was $1.00 per foot but things are down a bit. Give me a general location and I can ask a friend who is owns a hardwood mill.

About 5 years ago the walnut market took a dump around here. Friedn of mine bought on of those small mills and started slabbing walnut and selling it on e-bay. I don;t recall what price he was getting but I was shocked at the time at what people would pay for a walnut 1x6 board. Took less then a year and not many trees to pay off the mill.

dun

At what diameter do the logs have an appreciable value? I ran a load thru the woodstove last year from a tree with a 24" or so base. Tree died and I just happened to be cold.

cfpinz

cfpinz":20kplwig said:
At what diameter do the logs have an appreciable value? I ran a load thru the woodstove last year from a tree with a 24" or so base. Tree died and I just happened to be cold.

cfpinz

Must have been a closed air tight stove. Man that stuff stinks when it's burned.
The gun stock makers like them around 16-18 inches DBH at a minimum. The bigger the log the easier it is to get a number of good blanks if they're quarter sawed.
Next time you get cold just pop over here and I'll fill you up with a truck load of oak. I'll even throw in a semi full of cedar for firestarter

dun

Never noticed the smell. Haven't needed much wood yet. Supposed to be in the 60s today and around 70 tomorrow. There's some patches of new growth grass and seen a few cherry trees budding, maybe this global warming isn't such a bad thing after all.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3c3qyx9i said:
Never noticed the smell. Haven't needed much wood yet. Supposed to be in the 60s today and around 70 tomorrow. There's some patches of new growth grass and seen a few cherry trees budding, maybe this global warming isn't such a bad thing after all.

cfpinz

If you get what's supposed to hit here around the middle of the month you might be needing some firewood. Beat the rush and come over now!
This is something you can understand. I have a "butt load" of oak for you.

dun

dun":1qddgpzx said:
cfpinz":1qddgpzx said:

cfpinz

If you get what's supposed to hit here around the middle of the month you might be needing some firewood. Beat the rush and come over now!

dun

Is your forecast from the farmers' almanac or the weather liars? What are they calling for?

Find me an old junk truck in your area, I'll come pick it up along with your butt load. Might even bring my wife, she's about as far off keel as you are.

cfpinz

cfpinz":390chjph said:
dun":390chjph said:
cfpinz":390chjph said:

cfpinz

dun

Is your forecast from the farmers' almanac or the weather liars? What are they calling for?

Find me an old junk truck in your area, I'll come pick it up along with your butt load. Might even bring my wife, she's about as far off keel as you are.

cfpinz

I'll look around. The only one I know of wouldn;t make it out of Laclede County.
BTW, just so I have it ready, what are the dimensions of a butt load.

dun

dun":3m9xywa1 said:
BTW, just so I have it ready, what are the dimensions of a butt load.

dun

Two thighs wide and piled up to the crack.

cfpinz

Latest posts