WalMart Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
My wife called earlier and asked if I'd like to grill a steak rather than go out to eat. Of course I said yes. I had a long day. She didn't say where she was getting them. So she picked up some, marinated them, and I chunked them on the grill when I got home. I never asked where they came from. Started eating and I commented that it was the best steak I'd had in some time. I asked where they came from and she said WalMart. I couldn't believe it.

Now, you've got to realize, that I absolutely despise Walmart and avoid it like the plague. I've probably been in a Walmart 5 times in the last 5 years. But I'm gonna give the devil it's due. Maybe they've implemented some new standards or maybe I just got lucky. But that was a dang fine ribeye. And I know ribeyes :nod:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
They sell CAB.

If you're being serious (bc I honestly wouldn't know seeing as I never patronize there) then that's relatively new or either CAB has gotten way better. The beef I've eaten from there 4-5-6 years back was pizz poor. But I hope they've increased standards, for all consumers benefit. A steak like I had tonight is beneficial to all of us as beef producers.

It's really the only place to buy decent steak within about an hour of here. I try to give as much business as I can to the local grocery store but honestly, walmart has a lot more quality stuff than they do, especially meat.
My sticking point, coming from a farming background in CA, is that they only care about price so you'll see products that are in season in the US that they buy from overseas rather than our farmers.

My wife has picked up their Choice ribeyes for me before. They're better than most of the steaks from our local grocery store that sells CHB.

They sell some good, some 'not-so-good'.
Choice and select.
People around here must just buy whatever is cheapest, because of the 3 grocery stores in town, they mostly sell economy/ 'value pack' steaks...walmart included They're all select and you'd have to pick thru them to get a pack that's chewable. The things people buy....

Of late, I've developed a hankering for good grilled top sirloin, but they're hard to find in the stores.