Wal-Mart Mentality

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":3d2m7cuo said:
rk":3d2m7cuo said:
MikeC":3d2m7cuo said:
Crowder, I undserstand what you are saying about the Wal Mart mentality and don't allow my wife to go there.

But........The local feed dealers who are selling Nutrena feeds are getting their a$$es kicked here by a local mill that sells a good quality feed at $50-$60 per ton less than Nutrena.

He uses some by-products, of course, but so does Nutrena and they cover it up by pouring the molasses on and using wheat midd pellets, peanut hull pellets, etc.

Cargill is making a fortune off of the "Hobby" farmers and "Horse" ranches that have 10 acres and 5 horses.

I much prefer a smaller company with personal service. Not many think that way anymore.

What's wrong with "by-products"? Almost everything besides grains is a byproduct of some sort. Good feed value if used properly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with by-products if they are used correctly.

Didn't mean to infer that they are inferior.

But my opinion is......"you can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Crap". ;-)
Not sure what that means....but some feeds are better with "byproducts" for palatability, protein quality, rate of fermentation, etc.
Not wanting to be argumentative, but folks tend to categorically condemn byproducts, when in fact, they add to the quality of some products.

rk":25a9jofh said:
MikeC":25a9jofh said:
Crowder, I undserstand what you are saying about the Wal Mart mentality and don't allow my wife to go there.

But........The local feed dealers who are selling Nutrena feeds are getting their a$$es kicked here by a local mill that sells a good quality feed at $50-$60 per ton less than Nutrena.

He uses some by-products, of course, but so does Nutrena and they cover it up by pouring the molasses on and using wheat midd pellets, peanut hull pellets, etc.

Cargill is making a fortune off of the "Hobby" farmers and "Horse" ranches that have 10 acres and 5 horses.

I much prefer a smaller company with personal service. Not many think that way anymore.

What's wrong with "by-products"? Almost everything besides grains is a byproduct of some sort. Good feed value if used properly.

I dont have any problems with by products.Some of the competition out there is using strictly Rice hulls,Salt,ground Hay and Cracked Corn. That's not hardly a balanced useful feed in my book.I agree MikeC, you cant make Chicken salad out of Chicken Crap.

GMN, we're in the Feed and Farm supply business.

Thanks, Backhoe, but I own the Company.Come on by anytime.

yup your'e right, it's gotta be balanced regardless if its byproducts or primaries.

Crowderfarms":354f1vko said:

I knew that Crowder. But I do appreciate you and I do think you deserve an award.

If you were in my neighborhood, I'd drop some nickels in your place. Maybe even get me one of them Crowder caps. Drove 200 miles last weekend (100 miles one way) to get me a Turner Seed cap. It sure was expensive but I was glad to get it.

backhoeboogie":skgk2txr said:
Crowderfarms":skgk2txr said:

I knew that Crowder. But I do appreciate you and I do think you deserve an award.

If you were in my neighborhood, I'd drop some nickels in your place. Maybe even get me one of them Crowder caps. Drove 200 miles last weekend (100 miles one way) to get me a Turner Seed cap. It sure was expensive but I was glad to get it.
Send me your address, I'll mail you one of our's.

Yes, we shop at WalMart. It's hard not to. When we moved back here in '83, I could find anything I wanted in town. Today I can still find everything I NEED in town, but not everything I want. And most of the things I need are at WalMart. With gas prices like they are, I don't drive all over town, buying this here and that there. When I need something from WalMart, I'll go there, buy what I need, and probably pick up some groceries, oil for the chain saw, and printer paper, too. If I just need groceries, I'll go to the local grocery store. It's closer and I really hate the big parking lot at WalMart. We drive a distance and buy a truckload at a time of bull ration for the weaned calves. We buy cubes in bulk and minerals from our local feed store.

We don't use the Walmart.

We also don't buy enough feed to make a difference one way or the other. We buy what little we do where ever it's convient.

Wewild":21vupd9s said:
We don't use the Walmart.

We also don't buy enough feed to make a difference one way or the other. We buy what little we do where ever it's convient.

Looks like I am going to be buying a lot of pig fattener. Hadn't counted on that. Whew! Three more gilts last night around 100 lbs. That makes 19 for the week. There are so many pigs and shoats jumping around in the pen that you can't get a viable count.

Crowder I would indeed like one of those hats but only if I can pay cost and shipping! It would really be nice to pick up one in person some day.

Ok, I'm confused. Are you telling me that Walmart sells livestock feed? I can't tell my husband that. I like the feed mill we get ours from. If the Walmarts around here sold feed I'm afraid he would switch.

L Weir":1bg0rlwq said:
Ok, I'm confused. Are you telling me that Walmart sells livestock feed? I can't tell my husband that. I like the feed mill we get ours from. If the Walmarts around here sold feed I'm afraid he would switch.

Some Wal-Marts sell feed. It is pretty much like anything else at a Wal-Mart. If you ask a question about feed, no one there can give you an answer. All they know about the product is the price.

They sell chain saws but no parts to fix them. Lawnmowers but no oil filter to fit that model they sold you etc. It goes on and on. If there products weren't so cheap, they wouldn't need so many spare parts, that they don't stock.

It is cheaper in the long run to buy quality at a maw and paw store. Atleast the maw and paw stores carry spare parts, they are glad to see you, and they can tell you about the product you are buying. Plus they want you to come back and treat you with respect. You are less likely to get a dent in your car too.

eric":yr951f5c said:
Bullbuyer":yr951f5c said:
Crowder -
And as far as making change for a customer's purchase - forget about it. I realize that a lot of what I do involves numbers but these people today can't begin to do the math - if the register goes down, you might as well walk out !!

I cant tell you how much this drives me crazy! One of my first "real" jobs...one where I actually got a paycheck and not just cash out of a man's pocket for mowing/cleaning up and stuff, was at a little Cabell's Dairymart here in Dallas. The old man who owned the store taught me alot about customer service, especially looking someone in the eye when speaking to them and probably the most important, how to count back money to the customer. I cant stand it when the cashier just throws the money back in your hand, never counting it out. I guess they expect you to believe it's the correct amount. Even worse is when they fold it up and put the receipt around the bills and the change on top of it. I was taught to tell the customer the amount of change, and then count it out bill by bill and then give the change at the end. In other words, "Your change is $17.75 sir, here's $10-$15-$16-$17 and .75 cents. Thank you and come back." Man it drives me nuts when I get my money just haphazzardly returned to me and don't even get a thank you!

Oh, and does anybody else always forget to retrieve their change from the coin changers at the end of the checkout counters? It seems almost all the grocery stores around here have them nowadays, where the cashier doesn't even have to handle the coin change, it just spits out of a machine at the end of the counter. I have walked off and forgoten my change sooo many times it's not even funny. Usually when I am so frustrated about my bills not being return to me in order that I just totally forget about the change machine at the end.

I work at an HEB--that is how the cashers are supposed to give back the change...usually the kids are really good about it,but of course there's always the exception...

eric":3kz3u3mo said:
Bullbuyer":3kz3u3mo said:
Crowder -
And as far as making change for a customer's purchase - forget about it. I realize that a lot of what I do involves numbers but these people today can't begin to do the math - if the register goes down, you might as well walk out !!

I cant tell you how much this drives me crazy! One of my first "real" jobs...one where I actually got a paycheck and not just cash out of a man's pocket for mowing/cleaning up and stuff, was at a little Cabell's Dairymart here in Dallas. The old man who owned the store taught me alot about customer service, especially looking someone in the eye when speaking to them and probably the most important, how to count back money to the customer. I cant stand it when the cashier just throws the money back in your hand, never counting it out. I guess they expect you to believe it's the correct amount. Even worse is when they fold it up and put the receipt around the bills and the change on top of it. I was taught to tell the customer the amount of change, and then count it out bill by bill and then give the change at the end. In other words, "Your change is $17.75 sir, here's $10-$15-$16-$17 and .75 cents. Thank you and come back." Man it drives me nuts when I get my money just haphazzardly returned to me and don't even get a thank you!

Oh, and does anybody else always forget to retrieve their change from the coin changers at the end of the checkout counters? It seems almost all the grocery stores around here have them nowadays, where the cashier doesn't even have to handle the coin change, it just spits out of a machine at the end of the counter. I have walked off and forgoten my change sooo many times it's not even funny. Usually when I am so frustrated about my bills not being return to me in order that I just totally forget about the change machine at the end.
Your right eric, I used to work in a grocery store about 8 years ago, and people back then just hated it when I counted back the money, they would say , yeah yeah just give me my money, and it really shocked me, I guess nowadays people are in to big of a hurry and to rude to care

guess I went to a different school. Yes ma'am your purchase was $2.25, .75 makes 3,4+5(ones),5 makes 10 and 10 makes 20. Thank You and have a good day. It established what the purchase price was and counts up what they gave you.

Latest posts