Waiting for Spring !!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Today the wind wasn't blowing for a change- (snowing again but not blowing) so I decided to snap some pics while I was feeding....The other day on one of the other websites someone made the insinuation that "low input" meant starving your cattle- and cattle in poor shape...

Since I consider myself pretty low input- it kind of stuck in my craw... I see low input as not owning shares in local feedstore/elevator, or a grain mill or silage pits-- or hillsides covered with protein tubs and creep feeders....And having cows that can go out and calve on their own without babysitting chores and work for you- not you for them...

For several years now- the only grain my cows see is the replacements when they are weaned and lotted for about two/three weeks- after that they are turned back into the herd and begin learning to live and socialize with their older sisters... And about the only reason I grain them then- is to gentle them down walking thru them hauling grain to them in buckets- and to get them to eating grain in case I decide to synchronize them for AI...

Over the years of survival of the fittest- and use of more efficient genetics- I have gotten to the point where the cows I used to have to feed 30-40Lbs of hay a day to maintain good condition in winters like this can now easily do it on 20-25 Lbs ...

I had planned on grazing until at least well into January-- but the early snow- heavy snow (57 inches since fall) - and crusting made me have to begin feeding the 1st of Dec with half feed- and full feed (20-25 Lbs a day) starting about mid Dec...

And to me they sure don't look like they're starving....Altho I'm sure they are as excited about seeing spring and all that grazing left under the snow as I am.... Snow's getting so deep I'm running out of places I can get into to feed-- and room to stack the snow we clean off the feed areas....

A few of the poor mistreated old girls
JuddandPennywithLonghorns002-1-1.jpg

Magnitude X Bannon of Wye heifer calf... The baldy is one of the last I have-- and probably the biggest frame size cow left on the place (7 frame)... Out of a little hereford cow- she sure grew- but inherited her mothers ability to pick all winter and maintain her condition- and raise a big old baldy calf so earned her right to stick around....
JuddandPennywithLonghorns003-1.jpg

Legacy 726T X Juanada calf (mggs-Cole Creek Goldmere 31N)
JuddandPennywithLonghorns004-1.jpg

Even the Shoshone Felix granddaughter (OCC Prestige daughter) I bought looks like she isn't being too mistreated in her new hi-line home
JuddandPennywithLonghorns005-1-1.jpg

Front one is a Prime Time D806 X Juanadamere 2 year old daughter
JuddandPennywithLonghorns008-1-1.jpg

Another D806 2 year old
JuddandPennywithLonghorns010-1-1.jpg

A Juanada Lad 81T second calver daughter
JuddandPennywithLonghorns011-1-1.jpg

Waiting for spring - heck, I'm just starting to enjoy WINTER. Ground's frozen up good, got 1 to 2 feet of snow cushioning the ground. Cattle are loving it. Live is good. We have had an awful lot of WIND. I can do without that, til muddy spring time, so it'll hurry up the drying process.
BTW - cattle looked really bad, starving!! :lol:

Darn OT, you should really feed those poor deprived cattle, you can almost see a rib or two under the 3 inches of fat .. :p :lol:

Bloody cold here, not used to this crap either and we have had more snow fall so far I think than we did in the last 2 years combined. First babe on the ground Jan 10th . She was 3 weeks early, heifer calved at 20 months of age ,unassisted and a beautiful ,chunky heifer calf. She spent a few hours inside being dried off and getting warm for a while but was back out to mom ,who was anxiously waiting for her and is now doing really well in this frigid cold weather. More cows are due any day now , I sure hope we get a break in temps like "they" say .

kenny thomas":2yiy3664 said:
Looks like they are doing good.

Our average yearly snowfall is 14.2" ans we already have had 12.9" so winter must be almost over.

If we had an "average yearly snowfall" it would be time for me to move farther south!

Those are some fine looking cows OT!

kenny thomas":27uzu8r8 said:
Looks like they are doing good.

Our average yearly snowfall is 14.2" ans we already have had 12.9" so winter must be almost over.

:lol2: I sure wish you're right... :nod: Our yearly average til now is 15"- so we are now 43" over normal :shock: Have about 14-15" deep of snow on the level ( but most isn't on the level and is in drifts...

But the weather guessers are saying this weather pattern may go well thru the spring... Makes me think it could be interesting calving in March and April with an every other day snowstorm.... :eek: :cry2:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/s ... est-la.asp

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3al0pque said:
Waiting for spring - heck, I'm just starting to enjoy WINTER. Ground's frozen up good, got 1 to 2 feet of snow cushioning the ground. Cattle are loving it. Live is good. We have had an awful lot of WIND. I can do without that, til muddy spring time, so it'll hurry up the drying process.
BTW - cattle looked really bad, starving!! :lol:
I was thinking similar...Shoot winter just got here. Why rush it off for hot dry weather? :lol:

Burrrrr!!! Just looking at the pictures makes me shiver!

Quality always trumps quantity. Although you've bred yourself a good herd of survivors I'm guessing that hay you're feeding is pretty high quality as well.

Dylan Biggs":1ufxl4ma said:
TexasBred":1ufxl4ma said:
Quality always trumps quantity. Although you've bred yourself a good herd of survivors I'm guessing that hay you're feeding is pretty high quality as well.

Good point, 30 lbs of good hay can beat 40 lbs of poor hay.

Yep it is pretty good grass/alfalfa hay (altho some of it is 2 years old)... When its cold I like to feed some straw too-- but this year I don't have as much straw and am thinking with the current weather pattern I may need it come spring... With all the newer combines- straw is getting harder to come by...

" I sure wish you're right... Our yearly average til now is 15"- so we are now 43" over normal "
Is that correct??? your average in Montana is only 15"??? I thought you would normally get more than that.
We really have you beat - our AVERAGE is 120" :banana: and we got 73" in December alone (all of Dec snow is gone due to 1" & 2" RAINS in between and one day in hi 40's)
We now have about 1.5 - 2' on open fields.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":n0dhgx8m said:
" I sure wish you're right... Our yearly average til now is 15"- so we are now 43" over normal "
Is that correct??? your average in Montana is only 15"??? I thought you would normally get more than that.
We really have you beat - our AVERAGE is 120" :banana: and we got 73" in December alone (all of Dec snow is gone due to 1" & 2" RAINS in between and one day in hi 40's)
We now have about 1.5 - 2' on open fields.

Yep-- we have many years we have very little snowfall- and can graze to some extent all winter..

I just looked- 15.9" is the average snowfall we have between July 1 and today-- and this year for that period we have had 58"...44.2" of that came since Dec 1- and the average for that period is 10.5.. The snow depth on the level is 15"... That is the numbers for the weather bureau- but down here on the river I know we've gotten more this year...

We are a semi-arid area- and our average moisture for the whole year is under 12"....
We only get a winter like this about every 7-10 years...I remember back in the 70's I bought a brand new snowmobile- used it one year, then had about 7 years with no snow, so I sold it....

Last evening- we got rain for about 2 hours :shock: while the temp was 18 degrees... This morning the temp was 4- and I had to chip ice even to get the feed truck door open- and all the snow we have has a hard crust on it... This stuff is really tough on cows feet- and I already seen one limping this morning...

OT - I know what you mean. You will start seeing blood spots in the snow from their dew claws. Happens here all the time. People talk about cows grazing thru the snow. Some times that's possible for a short period of time, but the snow crusts over and many times my 200# husband may break thru the crust, but I can walk on top of it. Cattle cannot and will not graze thru it.
We actually have sunshine today - sorry to say, that is a rarity around here. And I LOVE sunshine - who doesn't. We get a lot of "lake affect" snow. You will see the sun thru a thick haze & it'll be blowing & snowing to beat he!!.

gizmom":15q0sy1h said:
The cattle look good oletimer!

It is the 60's here with sun shine....I just had to add that lol! Stay warm!

Gizmom
:devil2: Thanks Gizmom ;-) We picked up another 4" of snow last night- on top of the freezing rain crusted stuff we had :roll: Temps have moderated a little- and the wind has been mild for a couple of days- altho they say it could get down to 10 Below tonight... And I actually saw the sun for about an hour today...

But they are predicting when this polar air moves east about Friday we could see about a week or so of temps in the 20's and sunshiney days... :D

Hopefully when it warms up a little we can get everything plowed out good again- and ready for the next snow/blow :bang:

Just listened to the weather report - up to an official 105" of snow (average 120"). We have your storm coming East and another one coming up the coast that's supposed to hit us. We probably won't get much out of them, until after, then we get the Lake Affect Snow.

It's six above here this morn, gonna' start snowing at noon, 5 to 7" expected. Have three calves from cows I bought, gonna' put the other seventy five in the lots this weekend, they'll start next Thursday. gs