Wait to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wanda S.

Reaction score
I have a 11 month old longhorn heifer (pet) that I will want to breed at some time and cattle people I know say I should breed her when she is a yr.. I would rather wait till shes 2, Any reason why I cant wait. I will probably AI. Thanks

Normally I go more by % of mature body weight but a good rule of thumb would be breed her at 15 months and she will calve as a 2yo.

You can wait if you want. It wont hurt anything. Just be sure she is in good body condition when you do breed her. I too try to breed at 15 months and calve at 2 yrs. I wouldnt breed her prior to 12 months.

You, as the owner, makes that decision. Current management says we cannot afford to keep cattle around til they are 3 to calve. Therefore, it is general practice to breed at about 15 months of age to calve at 2 years of age.
Now, saying that, you can only breed them at 15 months of age IF (and that's a big IF) they are grown out well enough. They should be 65% of their MATURE weight at breeding age. If that means they need to grow til they are 2 years old because of poor nutrition - so be it.
Raising a heifer on poor nutrition, actually costs you more money because you lose a year of production.
On the other hand, if she is being pampered & getting more than she needs & is getting fat, that is not good either.
But, again, you own her, you do what you want to do with her, but are you able to tell what body condition she is?

Same here...let the little gal grow up a bit. We breed to calve as two year olds also...some get held over a month or two to let the rest catch up so we're not having calves all spring.
DMc

Wanda,

if your heifer is a pet, what are you going to do with a calf? Virtually every cow/bull will end it's life by being slaughtered for meat.

If you have a problem with that, don't breed her. Just keep her as a pet.

Not trying to sound cruel, but trying to view it from a different point. You, the owner, decide when and if to breed. If you raise cow/calf then your decision is somewhat dictated by economics. If you raise a pet, then there is no such limit.