Wagyu meat

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
How good is it? Last weekend my brother and a bunch of other guys were on a bachelor party trip in OKC and went to Mickey mantle steak house and had wagyu steaks. He claimed it was the best he ever had by far. $140 it better be. The manager told them all their wagyu need was from kobi Japan and that wagyu in America isn't nearly as good. Any truth to that?

I *heard* that the Japanese Wagyu cattle actually get massaged and pampered, which may help the meat in comparison to a commercial animal here, regardless of breed.

I've never been to Japan. I hear Japanese Kobi beef is the world's best, but seldom exported from Japan and that most served
in American restaurants as genuine Kobi beef actually is genuine "American Wagyu" not Japanese.
But the American version is still darn good.

My understanding (frequently suspect) is if it's the real deal it's called/advertised as Kobi Beef, if it is called Wagyu it's the US version of it.

I checked import laws and found that the amount of Kobe beef that is allowed (illegal until late 2012) to be imported is so small, the chances of you finding real Japanese Kobe beef are virtually nil.

Glad you enjoyed the US-grown Wagyu beef.

I don't think there's any limit, and it was only illegal from '09 to '12. I think I saw that Japan imported 105 tons of beef to the US in '14, not a large amount by any means. Seems unlikely it was actually Kobe, but possible I guess. I'd wager a bet that very few restaurants out there actually understand the difference. They're just repeating what their meat supplier tells them.

My understanding is that most restaurants that market real Kobi beef in the US means its a fullblood wagyu. "American" means it came from a pureblood calf instead.

I thought the Japanese head patented the genetics for true black wagyu, so the closest we could get over here was red Wagyu, and the only way to get black was breed up an angus? And I agree, most restaurants don't really know the difference.
Side note, I saw a video on facebook yesterday of a "foodie" who has his own TV show that went to a restaurant that serves genuine kobe beef, and the owner was doing an experiment with a large steak to see how long they could dry age it. In the video they cut off a piece that had been dry-aged for 400 days, and supposedly it tasted pretty good... looked like rotten meat to me though!

shortybreeder":1c36kiy0 said:
I thought the Japanese head patented the genetics for true black wagyu, so the closest we could get over here was red Wagyu, and the only way to get black was breed up an angus? And I agree, most restaurants don't really know the difference.
Side note, I saw a video on facebook yesterday of a "foodie" who has his own TV show that went to a restaurant that serves genuine kobe beef, and the owner was doing an experiment with a large steak to see how long they could dry age it. In the video they cut off a piece that had been dry-aged for 400 days, and supposedly it tasted pretty good... looked like rotten meat to me though!

There are a ton of black wagyu here in the states and have been forever. We used to collect quite a few of them in my days of working in the stud that were straight Jap genetics.

I just ordered semen from Wagyu bull in semenx catalog they say that to get the marbleing you need a double copy of one gene and all their bulls are tested for it and have it so when crossed once the offspring should have marbleing of Wagyu. They have 3 black bulls and a red to choose from.Will let you know how i make out but it will have to be a 2 year project so i have a long way to go.

tamarack":19rmde52 said:
I just ordered semen from Wagyu bull in semenx catalog they say that to get the marbleing you need a double copy of one gene and all their bulls are tested for it and have it so when crossed once the offspring should have marbleing of Wagyu. They have 3 black bulls and a red to choose from.Will let you know how i make out but it will have to be a 2 year project so i have a long way to go.
What did you order?
I have 3 simmental heifers confirmed pg to the Full Blood Wagyu bull Takamichi Doi linked below
And a daughter of WSI Umemaru that I plan to A.I. to him in June.

http://www.baywagyu.com/AboutOurHerd-TakamichiDoi.html

A neighbor put this god awful bull out with his heifers for fall calves. He looked like a starved sim steer, big head, no neck.. Found out he borrowed someone wagyu bull. Said calves he produces are small and make good heifer bulls. So i read up a little on wagyu bulls. They dont make briskets. The marbling doesnt transfer to crosses....of course that may just be propaganda to keep people from thinking you can get good marble added by crossing...But, if you breed the front end off your calves, where does that get you...
Again, i have no first hand knowledge of them, i just did not like the only one i've seen.

cowgirl8":1vothe4u said:
A neighbor put this god awful bull out with his heifers for fall calves. He looked like a starved sim steer
Found out he borrowed someone's wagyu bull. Said calves he produces are small and make good heifer bulls.
Again, i have no first hand knowledge of them, i just did not like the only one i've seen.
LOL
Yeah, they sure can be some pitiful looking creatures.
I've never met a cattleman that liked the way Wagyu look on the hoof. Definitely not the front pasture kind.
Had one guy tell me he was afraid the neighbors might call the Humane Society if they saw his. :lol:
The only time anyone is impressed by their appearance is on the rail when they are opened up and and look inside.
Of course crossbreeding with Wagyu isn't going to produce a 100% Wagyu carcass.
But to say they don't add marbling to crossbreds is a flat out lie.

IF you clicked on the link to Takamichi Doi you can almost see how embarrassed the owners are of his butt.
The picture is at a 2/3 head on angle to disguise the fact that he doesn't have one.

By the way there are 4 bloodlines A B C D and there is a specific rotation between the 4 lines in Japan to achieve their desired results for maternal and terminal cattle. The B's are by far the most pitiful looking of the 4 and often produce the most valuable carcasses.

We've never owned one so i cant testify to it, but i've been told that the best eating beef comes from a jersy. Anyone here know first hand if this is a fact?

cowgirl8":npmiu6n8 said:
We've never owned one so i cant testify to it, but i've been told that the best eating beef comes from a jersy. Anyone here know first hand if this is a fact?
"Best eating beef" is completely subjective, so obviously it can't be a "fact." But a lot of people seem to like Jersey. I think I'd put Wagyu above Jersey as the "best" but as for "best value" I'd put Jersey above Wagyu.

Had Jersey, never had wagyu, the best steak I ever had was carabao in the phillipines. I doubt that it was the first steak I had after 90 days on the gun line that made it taste so good.

piedmontese":lccsc626 said:
How good is it? Last weekend my brother and a bunch of other guys were on a bachelor party trip in OKC and went to Mickey Mantle steak house and had wagyu steaks. He claimed it was the best he ever had by far. $140 it better be.
I haven't seen any place advertising Jersey steaks for $50 - $80 lb http://www.imperialwagyubeef.com/the-butcher-shop
Wagyu offer opportunity for a small producer to tap into profitable niche markets in affluent cities and marketing areas.
For $ invested I'd say Wagyu beats Jerseys as the better investment value no questions asked.
If you mean best value for dining, a $140 will go a lot farther at McDonald's than at Mickey Mantle's.

Latest posts