Wagyu beef - Gary Yamamoto

Help Support CattleToday:

I started reading that with half interest but the more I got into it the more interested I got. Don't know that I would want to jump in there and save the day for the ol' boy but it might be just the right time for someone to do just that.

It's also one of those "too good to be true" scenarios. I guess only time will tell though.

Sounds like he could be a miserable cuss to deal with. An old fella I know used to work on a ranch with wagyu cattle, and he always says that no other breed has such a deep, burnin' desire to lay down and die.

I looked at being a Wagyu breeder last year, I was real serious about it but something just isn't right. I have decided that they are slightly better off than the ostrich. People given the chance at an affordable price will eat wagyu. I found some quality females but they would cost between 5 and 10k each then i found someone having a hard time selling fat steers for 2k after 400 days on feed and out of cows worth 5k each the meat market is soft at the price needed to make a real go of it. The real demand in the wagyu business is for breeding stock. So when everyone has enough wagyu cows and it comes time to pay for them with steers cause nobody will buy the bulls the hot air will come out of the market. I could make alot of money in the wagyu game with my skills but i don't want to be the one without a chair when the music stops and i'd feel bad about taking someone elses seat. I have decided that there are better places for my resources. This is my observations on the industry although somewhat gloomy the cattle business is a good time just proceed with caution don't buy magic beans that don't grow.

Latest posts