Vitaferm Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Well I have finally found a mineral that my cattle like and it is actually good for them. Started using the VitaFerm Concept-Aid 8/S Mineral and they are going back for seconds. I had not had any success with the local coop minerals as others have so i was informed about this and it seems to be working.

We have been using it for almost 2 years, and our conceptions are great. Make sure you are putting out the free choice LOOSE salt for them. We put the mineral on one end of the feeder, and the loose salt on the other. The consumption was up until they all got used to it, then it leveled out. They make it with IGR for flies, which I switch to around Feb.

I didn't think you where suppose to feed loose white salt when feeding a mineral? Shouldn't the mineral have enough salt in it to satisfy there need? Not trying to start a battle I have both ways so not sure which one is correct.

pricefarm":2ukji6dk said:
I didn't think you where suppose to feed loose white salt when feeding a mineral? Shouldn't the mineral have enough salt in it to satisfy there need? Not trying to start a battle I have both ways so not sure which one is correct.
The mineral I use in the winter has 0 salt. I keep white salt available at all times. That way they eat what they need not just trying to get salt.

pricefarm":11ue797r said:
Salt can be used as a limiter or an attractant depending on how much is in the mix. Mineral normally contains additives to entice them to consume it to a certain level at which point the salt will have the limiting affect. Sort of like trying to eat oversalted popcorn.

Kingfisher":2robkd88 said:
I hope they eat /like it! It ain't cheap! What are y'all paying for it?
Cheap is not always good! Kind of like the clothing at Walmart; it may be cheap but it also does not last very long! You get what you pay for in most cases.
My mineral bill this year is the same as when I fed "the cheap stuff". Last year, it was a bit higher, but it took my cows a bit of time to get used to the new stuff and the consumption is way down.
AFA salt, the recommendation when using Vitaferm is to leave out free choice loose salt, since salt IS NOT added to the mix. Salt is $5 for a 50 pound sack out here, glad it is not in my mineral... Since I would be laying way more for it if it was! My conceptaide runs about $34 a 50 pound sack. I bought 600 pounds in September, and still have 200 pounds left. Cows are eating the recommended amount, so happy with that. Conceptions are great, so it is doing its job. My cows return to heat sooner, and bred back quicker now. I blame the mineral... Gladly!

Fire Sweep Ranch":1u0qwr6j said:
Kingfisher":1u0qwr6j said:
Cheap is not always good! Kind of like the clothing at Walmart; it may be cheap but it also does not last very long! You get what you pay for in most cases.
My mineral bill this year is the same as when I fed "the cheap stuff". Last year, it was a bit higher, but it took my cows a bit of time to get used to the new stuff and the consumption is way down.
AFA salt, the recommendation when using Vitaferm is to leave out free choice loose salt, since salt IS NOT added to the mix. Salt is $5 for a 50 pound sack out here, glad it is not in my mineral... Since I would be laying way more for it if it was! My conceptaide runs about $34 a 50 pound sack. I bought 600 pounds in September, and still have 200 pounds left. Cows are eating the recommended amount, so happy with that. Conceptions are great, so it is doing its job. My cows return to heat sooner, and bred back quicker now. I blame the mineral... Gladly!

Keep in mind that it has a huge amt. of calcium carbonate which is $20 a TON. ;-) ;-)

TB521":1n0pokoj said:
Fire sweep do you care to say where you buy it

I used to buy it through Bass, and the regional rep would bring it to my place since they are up in Rogersville area. He told me at Farm Fest that Main Street Feeds will be carrying it now, so I plan on getting it there since that is closer, but have not priced it there yet.
When I switch to the high mag, CTC/IGR mix, it will go up to about $40 a sack, but well worth it to keep our fly population down.

TexasBred":3s3ehemp said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3s3ehemp said:
Kingfisher":3s3ehemp said:
AFA salt, the recommendation when using Vitaferm is to leave out free choice loose salt, since salt IS NOT added to the mix. Salt is $5 for a 50 pound sack out here, glad it is not in my mineral... Since I would be paying way more for it if it was! My conceptaide runs about $34 a 50 pound sack. I bought 600 pounds in September, and still have 200 pounds left. Cows are eating the recommended amount, so happy with that. Conceptions are great, so it is doing its job. My cows return to heat sooner, and bred back quicker now. I blame the mineral... Gladly!

Keep in mind that it has a huge amt. of calcium carbonate which is $20 a TON. ;-) ;-)

See, now I KNOW I am getting ripped off with my salt! Gosh darn it.... :cry2:

Latest posts