Vidalia Onions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Just wanted to check in with you folks in the South and see how the Vidalia onion crop is doing. You really can't beat one of them and a big ol' pot of beans. Of course, with fuel prices being what they are those onions will probably be pretty pricey by the time they make it up here!

The fields I've seen look real good, Bullbuyer. I think there's been a good season on them. A fellow a few miles up the road from me grows a couple hundred acres every year. If I see him, I'll stop and ask how they're coming along. Should start seeing them for sale pretty soon.

Bullbuyer, I'm not sure my pot of beans CAN be improved. :cowboy: But, I'm not familiar with the Vidali's What type onions are they?

mnmtranching":8jgjmyg0 said:
Bullbuyer, I'm not sure my pot of beans CAN be improved. :cowboy: But, I'm not familiar with the Vidali's What type onions are they?

I think a Vidalia is a Sweet granex onion that originated in Texas. They are good, good, good.

That's right, Vidalias are a type of Yellow Granex. They are trademarked under Ga. law and under Federal Marketing order can only be legally labeled and sold as Vidalias when grown in an area comprised of 13 counties and parts of seven others in S.E. Georgia. Shipped and sold nationwide.

Mnman, what makes the Vidalias sought after is their sweetness. You can find them in Minnesota. I know because I used to drive an 18 wheeler hauling produce and other perishables back in the '80's. Hauled 'em to the Twin Cities more than one time. I'm guessing you can find them in stores in three or four weeks. Maybe earlier.

Hey thanks Y'all :!: 8) Now I'm going to see if my next pot of beans is improved. :D

I saw some green onions yesterday that were labelled as Vidalia. I think they were priced 3-4 for a dollar. They were about the size of a pool ball - I didn't buy any but wishing now that I had. They will improve almost anything you'd normally use an onion for - except soups. It'd be a real waste to use one of them in soup.

When given a choice, buy the vidalia onions that are squatty and less rounded as these will be sweeter than average.

Jogeephus":2p4ho6ae said:
When given a choice, buy the vidalia onions that are squatty and less rounded as these will be sweeter than average.
I've always heard that - is there any research that says why that happens. Also heard that peppers that grow pointing up are hot and those pointing down are milder. Not sure about the validity of that.

Bullbuyer":2w1ypghc said:
Jogeephus":2w1ypghc said:
I've always heard that - is there any research that says why that happens. Also heard that peppers that grow pointing up are hot and those pointing down are milder. Not sure about the validity of that.

I was told this by a friend who retired from the USDA - as a produce inspector. Don't know if there is any research to back it up I just took him on his word since he knows more about produce than I'll ever know.

The round onions are an altogether different yellow granex variety than the oblong onions. The sweetest are the oblongs. The oblong variety is probably all you'll find on store shelves.

Latest posts