Vet Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
Why is it when I lived in the city I couldn't even get a checkup for my dog without spending $100 or more, but now I live outside the city, and I called up my local vet, that everyone recomends, to get a price on castrating a couple of calves that I have, and the cost was $10.00 per animal. :eek:

I couldn't believe it was so low.

Tim

City people don't know how to work animals. Country people do. You have to be reasonable on the price in the country, or country people will do it themselves.

Plus country people don't have the big bucks to spend like city slickers!

The vet will likely charge mileage to get to your place also. I personally think 10 bucks is a lot for something that a person can do themselves in just a minute or two. If the vet could do 20 calves in an hour that's 200 bucks in an hour's worth of work. Just my two cents

I asked my vet about that once. He said (and made no bones about it) that people will spend outrageous amounts on their pets and cattle people are just trying to get by. I thanked him. He only charged $5.00 for a castoration. That has been a couple of years ago.

Last year we had a calf that didn;t drop either nut. When the vet was out to preg check I had him castrate him. Didn;t charge anything, just the farm call and whatever else he was here for. Farm call is up to 10 bucks now and I've given him an ear full about jacking up his prices so high.

dun

I agree that $10 is too much to pay for something that you could do yourself. However, since I have never done this before (oh no a newbie :eek: ) I would not even think of "experimenting" on one my animals. Once I feel like I can do this without harming myself, or the animal, then I will save the $10 and do it myself.

Tim

it aint that hard at all fellas, just slip the ruber band over them and givem' a day, now if you are talking about surgical castration, yeah I guess to a nub that can be tricky, but how I learned it is just jump in there, make the vet teach you or have a freind teach you.. you know the phrase give a man a fish he will eat for a day teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time (or however it goes) same thing applies here. Good Luck!

tim1970":3jxrj75f said:
Why is it when I lived in the city I couldn't even get a checkup for my dog without spending $100 or more, but now I live outside the city, and I called up my local vet, that everyone recomends, to get a price on castrating a couple of calves that I have, and the cost was $10.00 per animal. :eek:

I couldn't believe it was so low.

Tim
Those people think dogs are people and the vets know it. There are people whose dogs and cats have had their teeth cleaned more that most people.

dun":2k1pgck3 said:
Last year we had a calf that didn;t drop either nut. When the vet was out to preg check I had him castrate him. Didn;t charge anything, just the farm call and whatever else he was here for. Farm call is up to 10 bucks now and I've given him an ear full about jacking up his prices so high.

dun

Does your vet come to Virginia? Farm call here is $35 plus $1.75 per mile 1-way at one vet office. Another's a little cheaper, but not much.

cfpinz

Considering what most large animal vets go through up here (ours has had to preform a C-section under flashlight in -25C conditions with a portable generator providing power for his clippers in our unheated tin barn at 3 a.m. - and I've heard many tales of vets standing in knee-deep snow performing C-sections on cows snubbed to trees in the dark of night, etc etc) I'm still amazed that there's any large animal vets left who even do 'farm calls'.

Especially when you consider how lucrative the small animal sector is for them, you won't hear me complaining about their fees.

I can't imagine how they manage their homelife during calving season in the spring...or preg-testing time in the fall.

God bless all you large animal vets out there! :heart:

You are priceless in my books.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":1zs886wz said:
God bless all you large animal vets out there! :heart:

You are priceless in my books.

Take care.

CattleAnnie, you said a mouthful there! :D :D