Very sick Boar

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Howdy yal.
Not sure how many of you know about hogs but am desperatly looking for help.
I bought a boar last week and within days he was crippled, and has a red, stinky, fluid coming from his sheath.
I haven't had a sick hog yet and don't know what this could be. I realize that I shouldn't have bought him now but the previous owner said that there was nothing wrong with him. Being sold as is should have sent up a red flag.
Oh well when it rains it poars.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help.

Double R

Well, a severe kidney/bladder infection in humans causes a red stinky leak. And depending on the severity and location of the infection it hurts to walk.

Kidney stones are a possibility, several UTIs could cause these symptoms, he needs to be examined to make an accurate diagnosis, I agree that calling in the vet is your best corse of action.

If you have a decent amount of animals shot him quick and bleach the area. It is not worth it, unless you bought a great boar for a high price then put him in exile and call the vet.

I had 2000 pigs at one time --the thing you have to be very careful about is bringing in new diseases, that your herd is not imune to-never never buy a pig at an auction mart ---they have every disease known to man there (and then some) There are some diseases that cause abortions --and every sow in you herd will have to get the disease before you have an imunity

carl

Herefordcross":1zfgwbds said:
Get a vet out there, in the meantime LA 200 will help some.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunitly there are no hog vets around. Nor a vet willing to try.

However, I gave him 3 days of Penicillion and then a heavy dose of LA200 and he is doing MUCH better. He is up, eating, drinking, and no more fluid. Thanks for all whom replied for the help.
Double R