very few flies

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have a place that every summer I hate to have cattle on due to flies. I have had years that a white Brahman and Brahman cross cows would turn almost black on their shoulders and back from so many flies, and my poor Angus bull had even more than the Brahman cross cattle. I am always trying to fight flies with sprays, rubs and even tried ear tags a couple years and none seemed to work for very long or very good for me. But this year I have almost no flies, so far, :clap: only thing I have did different is the two people around in about 3 miles that have cows are using the fly mineral that you put out and I poured all my cows with Ivermicten about 2 months ago. I also have the fly mineral out Don't know if that has anything to do with it or if its just a off year so far but it is great right now.

I think it's an off year here. Maybe all the high water last couple months has something to do with it--all the cow patties washed away.

Horse flies tho are a different story. :(

Maybe it's just me but I think the flies seem to be kinda bad here in Eastern Kentucky. I'm not trying to say that this is the worst year ever or anything. The few head that I currently have I put the fly tags in there ears but I don't think they really helped all that much. Anybody have any suggestions on how to help control the fly problem? I have heard of some kind of liquid you can pour on there backs but wasn't really sure how good that worked or how long. Let alone what brand works better or anything like that.

We put fly rubs out a few weeks ago and ran all the girls at the house through and poured them. I am 100% sure that it knocked the flies down by 75% or better. Nothing fancy just the stuff that TSC sells in the two gallon jug (it was on sale too) :D

arkie1":3fw99drk said:
We put fly rubs out a few weeks ago and ran all the girls at the house through and poured them. I am 100% sure that it knocked the flies down by 75% or better. Nothing fancy just the stuff that TSC sells in the two gallon jug (it was on sale too) :D

As I am new to the cattle business what exactly is a fly rub? Also can you tell me what brand the fly stuff was that you purchased at TSC?

The pour on is Gordon's brand. A rub is simply a large sponge of sorts that you can either stretch between two gate posts or trees or loafing shed post. You soak this sponge in the fly repellent and it allows the cattle to walk under it and "rub". This gets the liquid on their backs and helps to repel the flies. It gets a little technical as far as why you put it on their topline or back, same way with pour on wormer, but you get the picture. :cboy:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... -on-25-gal

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005

greybeard":2nd88b9m said:
I think it's an off year here. Maybe all the high water last couple months has something to do with it--all the cow patties washed away.

Horse flies tho are a different story. :(
Bring them over here never battled as bad as this year in my life.
I was blaming it on all the water.

I use the fly control mineral .. it seems to work the best for me ... house flies are horrible this year as well .. gotta be the wet ground allowing them to keep from drying out ..

I have practically no flies this year. I have read here in the past that people using long range wormer have less fly issues. This is the first year I have used the long range and there sure aren't many flies.