Vermeer Magentic Reed Switches

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcochran

Reaction score
Has anyone out there found a different source for the Vermeer baler magnetic reed switches? They are insanely high at the dealer.

Try looking them over for a manufacturer and a part number, if you find one, Google it.

There's a chance that you may have some luck, but sometimes those parts are not available to the public direct from the manufacturer.

I got the part number out of the Vermeer baler parts catalog that came with the baler. Last year I replace the sensor on the bale size indicator if that is what you mean on reed switches. I found a couple pretty cheap old inventory as one for a spare from another company than Vermeer . I called Vermeer and they quoted me a pretty high price and I decided to search and see what I could find first.

jltrent said:
I got the part number out of the Vermeer baler parts catalog that came with the baler. Last year I replace the sensor on the bale size indicator if that is what you mean on reed switches. I found a couple pretty cheap old inventory as one for a spare from another company than Vermeer . I called Vermeer and they quoted me a pretty high price and I decided to search and see what I could find first.

Do you remember the company you bought them from?

dvcochran said:
jltrent said:

Do you remember the company you bought them from?

I had a heck of a time finding them I remember and with the price I bought two. I looked for the invoice ,but no luck so far. I think they were like $30 each.

Here are the bad bale size sensor and twine arm sensor.

QjKHNAD.jpg

Here is the new spare bale size sensor.

qM5R39X.jpg

Unfortunately, that is for a newer style baler. Mine is a Super I that uses a vane style magnetic reed switch.

dvcochran said:
Unfortunately, that is for a newer style baler. Mine is a Super I that uses a vane style magnetic reed switch.

If you don't already have get the part number and see what you can find. If you do not have the parts manuals Vermeer will send you one for free. Call their Iowa # and give them your Model and serial # s if I remember correctly. That Super I is a good baler and well worth putting money in. You may have already checked, but your switch might could be repaired or it could be in the wiring, and not the switch.

Here is a switch a long shot................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Vermeer-Part-109513-001-Switch-/322027446657

Been awhile since I had the 5400 baler. I think that the reed switch the poster is looking for is a plastic block sealed with wires coming out of it. There are two fingers that stick out on each side that a piece of metal slides through that makes the twine arm go to home and also extend. I thought the switch was the problem but after testing the wires from the switch to the controller with a continuity tester I found the wire had failed. I piggy backed a wire along side of the harness and was back in business.

My first thought, don't know if it's suitable, is a door alarm switch, they're also a magnetic reed switch.. don't know if something could be cobbled together with them..

Latest posts