Vermeer 604J

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
My baler is kinda hard to start a bale with at times. You have to be paying attention that it starts wrapping otherwise youll plug it up. What I am wondering is are the belts suppose to be turning when there is no bale in the baler? Seems once the belts start turning when starting a bale your all set to go.

yes the pto is supposed tobe on while your baling hay.the only time its supposed tobe off depending on your baler is when you dump the bale.but i could be missunderstanding your q.

wade said:
My baler is kinda hard to start a bale with at times. You have to be paying attention that it starts wrapping otherwise youll plug it up. What I am wondering is are the belts suppose to be turning when there is no bale in the baler? Seems once the belts start turning when starting a bale your all set to go.[/quot

Check all of the bearing and all so the cam bearing in the pickup All so check the tension spring may be full of dirt and trash.

Make sure all of your pickup teeth are good shape then adjust the teeth angle on the side of the pickup to were the teeth will come close to the big roller in the back. Check your book to see how close is recommended. Starting a bale is in the pickup, teeth condition and angle to the big roller in the floor. I have an I baler and with proper adjustment you will have very few problems with bale starts.

All baler I have seen the belts turn all the time when engaged.
Sounds like the belts need resizing or you have other problems.

wade":pvffe5m3 said:
My baler is kinda hard to start a bale with at times. You have to be paying attention that it starts wrapping otherwise youll plug it up. What I am wondering is are the belts suppose to be turning when there is no bale in the baler? Seems once the belts start turning when starting a bale your all set to go.

I've got a 605L and yes, the belts should be moving while the PTO is engaged. With the belts turning, it will immediately get the hay rolling as its starts entering the baler, if belts aren't tight enough to roll with the PTO, the hay has to get wedged into the chamber tight enough to tighten the belts to start the rolling process which is whats causing the plugging trouble your having.
Good luck

Latest posts