Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

That's about as general as asking what most on the forum like for breakfast. LOL.

Run a search for vaccinations on the forum and see what comes up. Best to talk to your vet too to find out exactly what would be best for your area.

I understand how general of a ? it is, but do you have a certain brand you like to use? Meaning that you won't use any thing but that brand, such as Novartis, Boehringer,Pfister,etc. Do you ever mix them from year to year? Use one brand for the initial vaccination, come back in 2 to 3 weeks later with another brand for the booster round, then annually with another brand. I ask only because most of them seem to say the same thing on the directions, and if there for the same diseases would it hurt to use a different brand. It often seems that when I go to get my medicines the coop, or farm supply doesn't carry that brand of vaccine/ medicine any more they have something different but the tell you its the same thing, is it?

I like Pfizer as well... Bovishield Gold specifically.

Don't mix brands; companies often have their own strain of virus or bacterium they use in the vaccine, and when you switch brands you also switch strains, meaning the cows are getting a new vaccine, rather than a booster.

We normaly use Phizer bovi sheild, unless we sell to some who wants another brand used. Some times cattle buyers will want calves vacinated with live virus instead of killed virus.

We use Bovishield Gold as well. Was recommended by our vets. We do not use any other, as you are asking, from year to year. Wormers we switch.

I use Bovi-Shield 5 Gold in the baby holstein's and Vista Once SQ in the auction cattle . I think both are very good and safe . We use Vision 7 Somnus also . In the baby holstein's we also use Entervene D for salmonella .

Larry

We use Ft. Dodge Triangle "9" killed virus and follow up with a booster in 30 days. Also use Ft. Dodge Presponse, Vibrio, Lepto and Cydectin for worming. We worm everytime a cow goes thru the chute for any reason. Probably waste some money and wormer but good insurance.

One of the key words in your post was "brand". Make sure that you buy brand name meds, not the imports from China.

If you ever have a problem or need help with brand name meds, all it takes is a phone call with the batch number and you'll get any help you need from the manufactures. Try this with Chinese meds and you'll get...... nothing!

Latest posts