Vaccination ?

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Just wanted some advise on my vaccination that I use. For my cows they get Vira shield VL5 , 20/20 vision, once a year. My calves get vira shield 6 , 20/20 Vision , presponse hm they get two rounds of these. So is what Iam using my best option? Any suggestions welcome.

Looks good. Might look at a MLV vaccine instead of vira shield on the calves at least. Also Alpha 7 MMB is a combo 7 way and pinkeye that doesn't need a booster and think it is about half the price since you don't have to booster. Otherwise looks good when do you like to vaccinate them?

For what it is worth. At our vet's suggestion we use Virashield 6 VL HB Somnus twice a year, we have had Lepto issues and they say it is only good for 6 months. I usually use Covexin 8. Since we buy and bring in a few feeders they saw the twice a year Virashield is a good idea. One vet around here is a big believer in Bovishield and trying to get me to go to it. Have used Pinkeye Shield and a custom made vaccine for pinkeye.

Cows/Bulls:
virashield 6+VL5 HB somnus
pinkeye vacc. in spring

Calves:
round one:
virashield 6+VL5 HB somnus and covexin 8 (scheduled 4-6 weeks prior to cutting bull calves)

round two:
Same as round one (cut this time)

Talked with my vet tonight after he bse'd the bulls, said I might want to think about using multimin 90 for more effective utilization of the vaccines, plus giving the calves a trace mineral boost. I don't know a lot about it yet, I am researching it a little tonight. (He remembered that I had asked him before if a selenium shot might be beneficial for my newborn/baby calves)

Latest posts