Vaccination Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

ChipC

Reaction score
I've got a 6 month old bull calf and a 3 month old heifer calf that I have never given a vaccination or dewormer. I'm planning on working my cows next month and was hoping somebody could give me a recommendation on what vaccinations I should use. I've researched a little on the internet, but I've found a million different recommendations. I am considering a 7 way vaccination and some pour on ivomec. I also was wondering what, if anything, I should give my adult cows (2 yrs old+)? Should I worry about vaccines for them too? Or just do the dewormer?

This probably goes without mentioning, but I am very new at this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Personally I do the following:
Cows 4 Weeks Prior to Calving: Elite 9 / Covexin 8 / MultiMin 90 / Ivomec (alternate with "Longrange" every other year. Different active ingredients)
Calves at Birth: Benefit from mothers Vaccination. I don't give anything additional. Always had good results!
3 Months Old: Elite 9 / Covexin 8 / MultiMin 90
Weaning Boosters: Elite 9 / Covexin 8 / Ivomec (heifers get an additional dose of MultiMin 90)
I don't run any bulls. I keep steers for locker beef and they get a dose of MultiMin 90 at 12 months.
When I run my cows thru the Chute to start syncing them for AI (60 days after calving) I give them a booster of MultiMin 90.

I used to give MUSE in place of MultiMin 90, but recently switched for the added base minerals included.

That's what has worked for me. I would recommend visiting with others in your area and/or a vet to see what best suites the cattle for your area, Mineral content and certain diseases. Took me a couple years to get a good system down that worked well for me, but have been happy with my results. you will get there! Good Luck!

Since you are just getting started at this, now would be a good time to start a relationship with a good large animal vet. Ask the vet what is recommended for your area.

dun":3gudhb9w said:
Since you are just getting started at this, now would be a good time to start a relationship with a good large animal vet. Ask the vet what is recommended for your area.
This would help to have a relationship before having problems.

Thank y'all for the advice. I'll definitely get up with the vet. Cross-7, thanks for the reference to the publication. It was clear enough even for me to understand. Most of these type of publications give a recommendation at 3 months and then another one at pre-weaning. Since I missed the 3 month one I'm just not sure if I should just not worry about it and wait for the pre-weaning recommendation or what? Hopefully the vet can help.

Thanks!!

Do a your own research on vaccinating calves with MLV for IBR nursing bred cows that haven't been vaccinated