Vaccination Program

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Just curious at to the vaccination program used at various farms. Here's our program.

Modified Live Vaccine.
1. Before 24 hours old - calf guard and antitoxin
2. before 60 days old - also BVD tested
3. At weaning
4. Boosters (same shots as at weaning doc says)
5. yearling (also breeding shots if kept)

6. Breeding stock get vaccinations every 6 months depending on whether they are bred or getting ready for that particular breeding season.

So far, this program has kept us from having sick animals. If a calf has scours, it's due to too much milk. No shots are given unless it's caused by a bacteria. Prefer to allow their immune system to work on its own.

Please post your program and how effective it's been for you.

Valerie

Bar vac 7
triangle
An Ivermectin injectable
Whatever fly tag brand we didn't use last year & flyspray.
We band the bull calves at the first chance we get.
We wean for 45 days, bunk feed ect...

Our program is ok but we have a closed herd.

Arsenal 4.1
VibShield Plus
Cavalry 9
Fusogard
Pinkeye Shield XT4
Noromectin Plus

Did all these in spring and boostered in fall.

Lysigin (initial and booster) to cows before weaning - eliminated any Staph mastitis problems last fall.

Also used Somubac and Mannheimia Haemolytica Pasteurella Multocida Bacterin (initial and booster) on the calves.

No fly tags. Wasted money on them for a number of years. Use fly rubs instead.

Band bull calves before turnout.

Drugs were added/changed last year and I like the results so far.

shaz":fr7f220d said:
Bar vac 7
triangle
An Ivermectin injectable

Shaz,
Do you get better results with injectable ivermectin than with pour on? Do you put medication in your feed when weaning the calves?
Valerie

Aaron":1xi8je06 said:
Arsenal 4.1
VibShield Plus
Cavalry 9
Fusogard
Pinkeye Shield XT4
Noromectin Plus

Lysigin (initial and booster) to cows before weaning - eliminated any Staph mastitis problems last fall.

Also used Somubac and Mannheimia Haemolytica Pasteurella Multocida Bacterin (initial and booster) on the calves.

Aaron,
we quit the fly tags years ago as well. The drugs you mentioned, I'm assumings that in the feed for the weaned calves? May I ask what you are using and if it's more effective than what you were using before? Do you also have a closed herd?
Valerie

vclavin":1vbh9d8f said:
Aaron":1vbh9d8f said:
Arsenal 4.1
VibShield Plus
Cavalry 9
Fusogard
Pinkeye Shield XT4
Noromectin Plus

Aaron,
we quit the fly tags years ago as well. The drugs you mentioned, I'm assumings that in the feed for the weaned calves? May I ask what you are using and if it's more effective than what you were using before? Do you also have a closed herd?
Valerie

Valerie,

Don't use any medicated feed or soluable medications in the water. Not precise enough dosages and is just a lazy man's way of treatments.

We don't have a closed herd. But it's not wide open either. Some breeding bulls, open/bred heifers and weaned calves for backgrounding, are brought in, and everything is vaccinated at least once a year, sometimes twice.

For 5-way respiratory, we were using Triangle 9 (killed) in the past, before I switch to Arsenal 4.1 and Vibshield Plus. Largely based on cost, I now pay about 1/4 on my 5-way vaccine as I did before. For me, the savings were so impressive that I added the Fusogard, PinkeyeShield XT4, Somubac and MHPMB vaccines, as well as upgraded the deworming solution from pour-on to injectable, for roughly the same amount as what I was spending on just 5-way vaccine each year.

Feb/March calves at branding in mid May get:
ultrabac8
Nasalgen
pasturella
pinkeye
pour on ivermec
and bulls are knive cut

At weaning (mid Sept) I follow the Phizer select vac program with the exception of the wormer.
Cattle master 5
One shot
ultrabac 8
injectable ivermec
I give boosters in 3 to 4 weeks.

Cows get worked in early Dec
ultrabac 8
triangle 9
Guardian
injectable ivermec

i have 2 calving seasons
open cows Nov 1st and mid Aril. 30 days prior to breeding
bovi shield gold vl5 hb
ultrabac 7 w/sombus
dectomax inj
4 to 5 months bred they get staybred.

calves 2 weeks prior to weaning
bovi shield gold 5
ultrabac7 w/somubac
dectomax inj
banding
at weaning 2 weeks later
one shot ultra 7
bovi shield gold 5

retained heifers go into the cow program at whichever breeding season there in
register all them in whatever phizer vac program they fit in.

I wean my calves the day doc give them their vaccinations, the group of calves stay together till boosters and then are seperated by gender. Does anyone else wean at time of vaccines? I did this as both seasons of cows run together and didn't want MLV vaccinated calves running with early pregnancy cows.
Valerie

Aaron":husgzjr5 said:
If the cows are vaccinated with same MLV vaccine prior to breeding, you don't need to separate.
That's what they , they also tell you MLV can't cause disease - if that's true then there's be no reason to seperate between groups that have or have not had shots. I came across an article years ago that stated those MLV's shots in dogs can cause a disease reponse, maybe it can in cows as well. Better safe than sorry!
Thanks
Valerie

I vaccinate at weaning due to the modified live. I would have to run the cows through the chute between calving and bull turn out to get them covered with a modified live and it has never worked out for me. Also a number of the calves spend the summer and early fall at a pasture with no working facilities.

vclavin":1o15y6jp said:
shaz":1o15y6jp said:
Bar vac 7
triangle
An Ivermectin injectable

Shaz,
Do you get better results with injectable ivermectin than with pour on? Do you put medication in your feed when weaning the calves?
Valerie
I really feel like I did a better job with the injectable. I tend to use too much pour on per animal and they ALWAYs head straight for the pond after I worm.
I don't add medication but the rummensin or derivative is already in it for the most part. I'll typcially use 13% coarse.

Latest posts