USPS

Help Support CattleToday:

The things you all have described does seem strange. On the other side of the coin, my brother is a mail carrier, and he said if anyone were to carry the mail for one day, they would never complain about the postal service again. He says that he gets some of the stupidest, strangest questions one could imagine.

The postal service is never technically closed due to weather, but if things are extremely hazardous, carriers can make their own call not to go. A few years ago, we had a big snow that stayed in roads over a week here. The first day, my brother actually tried it, but it wasn't fit for man or beast, so he and the other carriers didn't go that day. He said the post office was getting angry calls from people wanting to know why their mail wasn't being delivered.

My favorite was when the post master told one person that they were unable to deliver because roads were impassable, but they were welcome to come pick their mail up at the post office. Their response was, "Oh, we can't get out because the roads are too bad" :eek:

In spite of the old 'unofficial' post office motto, I don't expect anyone to risk life, limb or vehicle to deliver my electric bill..but I'm pretty sure one of these is my mailman.
080uSTFQ0TuxXBa3c.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

BTW, Feb 4 is national 'Thank a Mailman Day'. Fortunately, that falls on a Sunday this year, so you get to save a couple bucks by not having to buy the card.

herofan":167ufgln said:
The things you all have described does seem strange. On the other side of the coin, my brother is a mail carrier, and he said if anyone were to carry the mail for one day, they would never complain about the postal service again. He says that he gets some of the stupidest, strangest questions one could imagine.

The postal service is never technically closed due to weather, but if things are extremely hazardous, carriers can make their own call not to go. A few years ago, we had a big snow that stayed in roads over a week here. The first day, my brother actually tried it, but it wasn't fit for man or beast, so he and the other carriers didn't go that day. He said the post office was getting angry calls from people wanting to know why their mail wasn't being delivered.

My favorite was when the post master told one person that they were unable to deliver because roads were impassable, but they were welcome to come pick their mail up at the post office. Their response was, "Oh, we can't get out because the roads are too bad" :eek:

It's kind of amazing to think that I can send a piece of paper across the country with an ineligible address on it and it will traverse the entire system in a few days and get there unscathed for the most part. And yet, we all complain when the roads are too bad and my mail isn't in the box by 3:03.

It's kind of amazing to think that I can send a piece of paper across the country with an ineligible address on it and it will traverse the entire system in a few days and get there unscathed for the most part. And yet, we all complain when the roads are too bad and my mail isn't in the box by 3:03.
Why would an address be ineligible? No zip code or in a dangerous part of town the post office doesn't deliver to..a no delivery area kinda like a no-fly zone?

Went to town today to mail a package. Town of 5,000 and PO closed from 12:00-2:00 PM! Went to the next town, just a tad larger in population, they were closed also! That's customer service you'd pay extra for.

The post office in the little town where my brother lived (East End Ark) is inside the back of Ace Hardware, right behind where they store all their screen and storm doors. I'ts open 2 hrs/day I think, just a little half counter, small bank of PO boxes, and a drop box for letters.

You have at least four choices to ship, USPS, UPS, FEDEX and DHS. Take your choice. Most online merchants that ships free
normally use USPS. The ones that you pay shipping and handling charge much more and ships by UPS or FEDEX. I saw a person on Ford Tractor that was needing twine needles for a Ford hay baler. I contacted him and shipped two needles to him. I told him to pay me what ever he thought they were worth. I also said to at least pay the shipping. Shipped by USPS I thank the shipping was somewhere around $20.00. From Yantis Texas to Missola Montana. Arrived to him three days later. He sent me a check for $350 dollars as that was the cost everyone else had quoted him.

You have at least four choices to ship, USPS, UPS, FEDEX and DHS. Take your choice. Most online merchants that ships free
normally use USPS. The ones that you pay shipping and handling charge much more and ships by UPS or FEDEX. I saw a person on Ford Tractor that was needing twine needles for a Ford hay baler. I contacted him and shipped two needles to him. I told him to pay me what ever he thought they were worth. I also said to at least pay the shipping. Shipped by USPS I thank the shipping was somewhere around $20.00. From Yantis Texas to Missola Montana. Arrived to him three days later. He sent me a check for $350 dollars as that was the cost everyone else had quoted him. I can depend on the USPS to come by within one hour plus or minus 30 minutes at my house. UPS may be by at any time of the day. When shipping by USPS my office will select the box to fit shipped and help me pack it. If I ship by UPS I have to go to thier location between 5 and 6 o-clock PM and have everything packed and ready for them.

greybeard":4wo7ns9z said:
Anyone ever actually buy anything from all those unsolicited 'circulars' or ads that seem to come every day..the ones addressed to some nameless, faceless person they call 'resident'?

Anyone found a way to stop them from coming?
The world needs a physical 'adblocker' for mailboxes.

Contact the company that sends them. USPS has nothing t do with them being sent.

Still no package today. Will follow up with seller and have him refund or resend. USPS has not updated their website. The website still says the package is in route to my house and will be delivered on the 28th or what ever. Shows how out of touch the website is.

Nesikep":yqal8rrb said:
well, about 5 weeks after being sent, tomorrow my package ought to arrive.. Here's the tracking for it... check out the bumper stickers that thing has collected!
https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/i ... ca_english

That is a cluster.......I have and item I ordered in mid-November from China that is still on the way.....it will either be Epacket from now on from China (no more economy shipping) or I will just pay US prices and get it over with. The chainsaw is in a hundred pieces and I need that one piece to finish. I am beginning to wonder if the boat hasn't sank. If I buy a US part it will be made in China more than likely also. :lol:

jltrent":1wk8fszo said:
Nesikep":1wk8fszo said:
well, about 5 weeks after being sent, tomorrow my package ought to arrive.. Here's the tracking for it... check out the bumper stickers that thing has collected!
https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/i ... ca_english

That is a cluster.......I have and item I ordered in mid-November from China that is still on the way.....it will either be Epacket from now on from China (no more economy shipping) or I will just pay US prices and get it over with. The chainsaw is in a hundred pieces and I need that one piece to finish. I am beginning to wonder if the boat hasn't sank. If I buy a US part it will be made in China more than likely also. :lol:
the free shipping option can be painfully slow.. I've had it take 3 months... It seems like the more expensive the package the slower it is too... I think some of it gets hung up in customs, and it's very low on their priority.

Yeah, FedEx STILL didn't get the right $#@%#%$#$ address... STICKNEY, not STAKEY, not STICK KNEE mountain place.. lets hope the 3rd time is a charm

greybeard":1tp4y6dz said:
In spite of the old 'unofficial' post office motto, I don't expect anyone to risk life, limb or vehicle to deliver my electric bill..but I'm pretty sure one of these is my mailman.
080uSTFQ0TuxXBa3c.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

BTW, Feb 4 is national 'Thank a Mailman Day'. Fortunately, that falls on a Sunday this year, so you get to save a couple bucks by not having to buy the card.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Mr. Negativity. I pray someone does something good and noble for you today. (Just hope he don't flick up and do it differently than you would do it).

For stopping unsolicited mail, if you receive a self addressed STAMPED envelope, take the letter with your name and address on it - cross it out & WRITE: "Take my name and address off ALL mailings" and sign your name under it. Stuff it and the used envelope, all other papers mailed to you, into the self addressed paid postage envelope. It costs them a bunch to get all this stuff back and it works.
They HAVE to stop sending you stuff. It may take a few months, but they do stop.

Latest posts