USPS may close for business............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://fortune.com/2020/03/30/usps-postal-service-stimulus-package-no-funding-post-office-mail-delivery-could-shutter-june-coronavirus-relief-bill/

With a negative net worth of $65 billion and an additional $140 billion in unfunded liabilities, the USPS originally expected to run out of liquidity by 2021 without intervention. That has accelerated rapidly because of COVID-19. Fewer people and businesses are sending mail because of the outbreak, which could hasten the decline of the Postal Service and close its doors as early as June, officials warned.

jltrent said:
https://fortune.com/2020/03/30/usps-postal-service-stimulus-package-no-funding-post-office-mail-delivery-could-shutter-june-coronavirus-relief-bill/

With a negative net worth of $65 billion and an additional $140 billion in unfunded liabilities, the USPS originally expected to run out of liquidity by 2021 without intervention. That has accelerated rapidly because of COVID-19. Fewer people and businesses are sending mail because of the outbreak, which could hasten the decline of the Postal Service and close its doors as early as June, officials warned.

I sure hope not. We own a small town post office building and that rent check comes like clockwork each month. Maybe we should offer them a three month deferment until this Chinese virus runs its course.

Looks like that rent check will be covered. No deferment needed.

from the CARE Act:

(1) the Postal Service may borrow money from the Treasury in an amount not to exceed $10,000,000,000—
(A) to be used for such operating expenses;
and...

The people in my area would argue that it should have been closed years ago. I've been here over 20 years and it's always been like that. I've been doing online bill pay for several years now to make sure my bills are getting paid.

A contract with Amazon was neogaited by some upper ups in the USPS. The rate was much lower than needed and not profitable.

hurleyjd said:
A contract with Amazon was neogaited by some upper ups in the USPS. The rate was much lower than needed and not profitable.
I'm torn on this, I also heard that amazon deliveries were the only thing that even came close to paying for door-to-door service with declining lettermail... What I have an issue with is that it essentially gives Amazon over any other business that wants to do mail-order.

Nesikep said:
hurleyjd said:
I'm torn on this, I also heard that amazon deliveries were the only thing that even came close to paying for door-to-door service with declining lettermail... What I have an issue with is that it essentially gives Amazon over any other business that wants to do mail-order.
I shipped a pair of boots the grandson left here to Seattle Washington. Cost me $27 and the Post office in Washington returned them to me for insufficient address. My post master who in in our small town removed all of the marking from the Washington post office. Only thing missing was an Apartment No which we added. Went through and was left in the lobby of the apartment as all of the mail that is to large for the mailboxes are left. Any way he finally got the boxes. He liked three weeks at deep sea diving schools to be licensed but the school was shut down until when?

hurleyjd said:
Nesikep said:
hurleyjd said:
I shipped a pair of boots the grandson left here to Seattle Washington. Cost me $27 and the Post office in Washington returned them to me for insufficient address. My post master who in in our small town removed all of the marking from the Washington post office. Only thing missing was an Apartment No which we added. Went through and was left in the lobby of the apartment as all of the mail that is to large for the mailboxes are left. Any way he finally got the boxes. He liked three weeks at deep sea diving schools to be licensed but the school was shut down until when?
My gripe is why Amazon can deliver a big package across the country for next to nothing, and i have to pay $20 for that same package to be shipped to my next door neighbor

From the pictures you've posted, it's probably because your 'next door neighbor' lives 200 miles away and across a mountain range?
(Amazon doesn't bill from your location to the destination..it bills from where ever the package is located to the destination)

I would hate to see it. The Post office is the only thing that even remotely looks like a business in our town. Even it is only open part time. There is no rural delivery and the next closest post office is 32 miles away. Both UPS and Fed ex deliver right to the door but the nearest drop off sight for either of them is over 50 miles away. There is a private drop site that is 30 miles away but they charge $4 to take your package.