Using BST to increase milk out put

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
Once, years ago, I had a super fat show heifer who had nearly no milk, no bag, I gave her BST 2x, and she did raise the calf, we sold her (the non-milking heifer).

Yesterday, my worst milking cow gave birth to twin heifers. This is her 3rd lactation she has adequate milk for one calf, but really not for 2. Fortunately these are some itty bitty (55 and 65lb heifer calves) twins. She's being a pretty attentive mother, likes the both of them, I've got her penned up for a few days until the calves are strong enough to follow her in the pasture.

I'm thinking of giving her some BST. Do people have any ideas on this, or what strategies would you suggest for increasing her production? Feeding a little grain right now. Today it was 102 degrees which isn't helping.
THanks! :help:

Betty":1bwb3cla said:
Once, years ago, I had a super fat show heifer who had nearly no milk, no bag, I gave her BST 2x, and she did raise the calf, we sold her (the non-milking heifer).

Yesterday, my worst milking cow gave birth to twin heifers. This is her 3rd lactation she has adequate milk for one calf, but really not for 2. Fortunately these are some itty bitty (55 and 65lb heifer calves) twins. She's being a pretty attentive mother, likes the both of them, I've got her penned up for a few days until the calves are strong enough to follow her in the pasture.

I'm thinking of giving her some BST. Do people have any ideas on this, or what strategies would you suggest for increasing her production? Feeding a little grain right now. Today it was 102 degrees which isn't helping.
THanks! :help:
If you think she really will need some help I'd begin by increasing the feed and feeding a high protein feed. (16-18% CP) This will help her maintain some semblance of body condition while producing milk for two calves. She only needs to produce about 2 gallons per day. BST is expensive and is really intended to be used in cattle latter in lactation. It also requires an increase in feed, otherwise it is more or less counter productive.

Thank you.
I've been feeding her some calf starter twice a day.
Will hold off on the BST idea, it was just a thought.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lr3edyx said:
Do you have to give BST daily??
The calves will demand more milk from the cow, which in turn will help her produce more milk, but, as said, she needs more nutrition.

We never used it but best I recall the injection is given every two weeks for increased milk production in dairy cattle. For beef cattle I don't know that you could ever justify the expense. Just moving up to a higher quality feed and feeding more of it IF it's necessary at all should take care of it. I do believe that it is also recommended that the cow already be confirmed bred back before beginning the use of BST.

Don't know about BST as it is illegal here. I think you are best off to do as TB said .Also get the twins eating a good dairy ration calf starter as soon as possible this will help them, as well as increasing the dams diet in protein and energy. Congrats on the twins and good luck.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ey2ll94 said:
The calves will demand more milk from the cow, which in turn will help her produce more milk, but, as said, she needs more nutrition.
Only if she has the genetics to produce more milk. That's where people fall into the milk trap. If the cow is a high milk producer she requires more groceries, if she is a moderate producer twins won;t grow worth spit.

Bst may work well for you but it depends on why she's a poor milker.
If she's a big fat thing that puts it away but doesn't turn it into milk, then bst will help.
If she's working hard to raise two kids and just doesn't have it in her, bst will be a waste of money.

In order for bst to work, the cow has to be in a positive energy balance where she is consuming more energy in her feed than she is producing in milk. If she is milking hard and it's all coming from her stored fat, bst won't work and nothing but extra feed will.
Bst isn't usually given to non-pregnant animals but that is because the increased milk output causes breeding problems in already high production cattle. Since you're already sounding like this girl may be a cull, hit her with bst and see what happens. At least she can produce better calves before she leaves and if you decide to keep her I doubt it will hurt her to bad.

wbvs58":35qlc13n said:
What do the initials BST stand for? I haven't heard of it. Who makes it? I would be interested in looking it up.
Ken

Bovine somatotropin (BST), is a hormone produced by the cow's pituitary gland, for regulating metabolic processes. Since 1994 it has been possible to synthesize the hormone using recombinant DNA technology to create recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST), recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), or artificial growth hormone. Monsanto was the first to develop the technology and marketed it as "Posilac" - a brand now owned by Elanco Animal Health, a division of Eli Lilly and Company.

The United States is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone. Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries, by 2000.

In the United States, public opinion has caused a number of products and retailers to become rBST-free

There was a lot of safety fears, and worries over the testing etc carried out in different labs in the US, Canada, and Europe

Ok posilac is under $7 a dose. Your calves are going to gain 3 lbs a day if you can have your cow feed them. That is 6 lbs a day at $1 lb so you are at $42 for a net gain of $35. Giving a shot every 14 days would be alot eaiser than feeding a calf or 2 twice a day for at least 6 weeks. Plus buying milk replacer. She is going to need extra feed. That is what posilac does. Makes them eat to make milk. If she has never raised a calf dump her at the sale barn. I have in the past tho had good cows with twins and gave them posilac and if one cow can raise 2 calves you are really making cash. If she don't then your up a creek. It is worth a try.

Till-Hill":30ut1sxo said:
Ok posilac is under $7 a dose. Your calves are going to gain 3 lbs a day if you can have your cow feed them. That is 6 lbs a day at $1 lb so you are at $42 for a net gain of $35. Giving a shot every 14 days would be alot eaiser than feeding a calf or 2 twice a day for at least 6 weeks. Plus buying milk replacer. She is going to need extra feed. That is what posilac does. Makes them eat to make milk. If she has never raised a calf dump her at the sale barn. I have in the past tho had good cows with twins and gave them posilac and if one cow can raise 2 calves you are really making cash. If she don't then your up a creek. It is worth a try.
Your net gain figures are way off. The calves may gain almost the same without BST and you have the extra expense of additional feed for the cow. I'd probably sell one calf and let the cow raise one at no added expense.

Thanks for all comments, just an update.
I am feeding the cow calf starter 2x a day. We have had a ton of rain and the pasture is terrific. The
cow is getting fatter (she was in heat yesterday) and the twins are growing but they are thin.
We have done no BST, but might in the future. The cow has a tendency to walk off and leave one twin\so we are penning her at night with the babies until they are old enough to keep an eye on Ma for themselves.
It's odd, this cow's full sister is a terrific milker as is her dam who is a '96 model and raising a fabulous bull calf on 2 functioning teats.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts